Community Recognition Program

We believe it is important to acknowledge the value and impact of the crucial support that our TWB Community members provide. As part of our Community Recognition Program, you can receive rewards depending on your level of contribution. :star2:

:loudspeaker: We have some exciting news to share with you! :tada: From now on, you will be able to find all the details of our Community Recognition Program on your profile :bust_in_silhouette: on the TWB Platform, in a new dedicated section. :woman_technologist: :man_technologist:

Scroll down in your profile :arrow_down: and check out which rewards you are eligible to receive! :white_check_mark:

The program now adopts a point-based system :abacus: Donate words to earn points. Points mean rewards! Check out which rewards you are eligible to receive!

:left_speech_bubble: We are also looking into expanding our list of rewards this year, and list of activities for which you can receive points. Feel free to share your ideas with our team in this thread! :bulb:

As part of this program:

:email: You can request reference letters (15,000 points) and recommendations on professional platforms, such as LinkedIn or ProZ (30,000 points).

:white_check_mark: We can confirm that you have volunteered your time and skills with TWB (5,000 points). We calculate translators’ contributions by words donated, not hours. We can “convert” the words you contribute into hours for your service hours at university, work, and other institutions. Contact us to receive written confirmation of your hours.

:question: How can I earn points?

:question: How can I request rewards?
Once you have enough points to request a reward, please send an email at recognition@translatorswithoutborders.org. :mailbox_with_mail: Our staff will process your request and get back to you within 2 business days. The points are cumulative and never reset to zero, so you keep accruing points even if you claim any rewards.
In the near future, we will implement a button to request a reward directly from your profile!

:question: Do you offer any monetary rewards?

Our Community Recognition Program also includes monetary rewards for some marginalized languages. Speakers of marginalized languages often face high connectivity costs when offering their online support. These monetary rewards aim to cover some of those expenses. We hope that this will allow speakers of marginalized languages to volunteer more with us.

We also offer monetary rewards for languages that are crucial to supporting ongoing humanitarian responses. When we advocate for language inclusion and collaborate with partner organizations on the ground, it generates more urgent and more frequent requests for relevant language communities. We are committed to recognizing the work of our volunteers who step up to support their communities in times of crisis. We hope that the rewards included in our Community Recognition Program may help community members who are personally affected.

This program is not a form of employment, and rewards do not constitute payment for services.

Currently, the languages on our TWB Platform for which we can offer monetary rewards are Amharic; Bengali; Bengali, India; Bura-Pabir; Burmese; Chadian Arabic; Chadian Arabic Latin; Chittagonian; Dari; Fulah; Haitian; Hausa; Kanuri; Kibaku; Kurdish Bahdini; Kurdish Kurmanji; Kurdish Sorani; Lingala; Ganda; Wandala (formerly Mandara); Marghi Central; Mongo; Nande; Ngombe; Oromo; Pushto; Pushto, Pakistan; Rohingya Bengali; Rohingya Latin; Romani; Shi; Somali; Somali, Ethiopia; Swahili; Swahili, Congo; Tigrinya; Ukrainian; Lamang (formerly Waha).

This list may change over time, depending on our strategic needs and budgetary constraints related to our crisis response work and international programs. If a language is to be removed from this list, the community will be informed beforehand, in a timely manner. If you deliver work in these languages, you can check how many points you have and the monetary rewards you can receive in the new “Recognition” section.

:video_camera: Watch our first 2022 webinar on this topic! We had also another updated webinar in October 2022, specifically for the Nigeria community. You can watch it here.
We also had a session in Hausa language for our Nigeria community! :nigeria: Watch the recording here.

:question: Do you have more questions? You can check our FAQs here.

:rotating_light: Please remember that the quality of the work we submit is of utmost importance, as it can influence the lives of people affected by humanitarian crises. Only work that meets our minimum quality standards (as described in TWB’s Code of Conduct will qualify towards our Community Recognition Program.

:mortar_board: We are also encourage you to take our online course, Introduction to Humanitarian Translation for the TWB Community. All community members who successfully complete it will receive a certificate. The course is available online. To learn more about it, please visit this thread. In 2022, we are also aiming at expanding our online course offering - stay tuned for more news!

We look forward to receiving your feedback! :memo:

25 Likes

This is great news @ClaudiaM. May I know what the rewards might be?

3 Likes

Hi Amin! The rewards are detailed above :arrow_up: As part of this program you can request reference letters (15,000 points) and recommendations on professional platforms, such as LinkedIn or ProZ (30,000 points).

In addition to that, we also have a set of monetary rewards for volunteers contributing in the following languages: Amharic, Bengali, Bura-Pabir, Burmese, Chadian Arabic, Chittagonian, Dari, Fulfulde, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Kanuri, Kibaku, Kurdish, Lingala, Luganda, Mandara, Marghi, Mongo, Nande, Ngombe, Oromo, Pashto, Rohingya, Shi, Somali, Swahili, Tigrinya, Waha. This list may change depending on our strategic needs and budgetary constraints.

If you deliver work in these languages, you can check how many points you have, and the monetary rewards you can receive in the new “Recognition” section of your profile

5 Likes

I would like a recommendation letter on Proz

Hi @Kj_Dan and thank you for your interest in our recognition program! :dizzy:

Kindly send us an email to translators@translatorswithoutborders.org to provide us with the link tou your ProZ profile, and we will follow up with you shortly :innocent:

Understood.
Thank you @ambra for the clarification and constant help.

1 Like

Great! I reached 20,000 translated words, looking forward to getting a reward :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a really nice improvment :slight_smile:

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi,

I would like to know what happens when you have more than 30,000 recognition points?
Is there any other program?

Thank you

Hey @jllopismoran Considering the recognition is a relatively new program, we are still focusing on up to 30,000 recognition points for now. Maybe @ambra can advice further?

3 Likes

Hello, I have sent the request for 5.000 words milestone certificate through the email, but I havent heard since two days ago. How can I follow up this? I need the certificate and letter of reference for my post graduate application. Thank you in advance!

Hi Dewi, we apologize for not responding earlier, we are receiving a high number of requests and we therefore might take time to respond, you will surely receive a reply to your email today or tomorrow. Thanks for your understanding :blush:

Hello, I have been requesting a reward for my recent contributions to the translation without borders. Since I exceeded 50,000 points in strategic languages, I would like to ask for a monetary reward. I have asked before when I pass 25,000 points but still I didn’t get the reward so I would like to ask the reward for 25000 and 50000 points reward. Thank you

Hi Yared, thank you for your message, I see that we received an email from you regarding your request, we will check it and get back to you shortly. Only it’s taking us some time until we follow up with the high number of request we are receiving. Thank you for your patience and understanding :pray:

2 Likes

Hi! I don’t know if this the right place to ask, but I know that when you reach the 20,000 words, you may ask for a certificate. May I claim one? Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hey Miriam,

If you go on your Profile tab and scroll down you’ll see a heading called Community Recognition Program, where you’ll find all the information you need.

Contributions are point-based, not word-based, and the points are calculated according to this table:

Type of task Unit Points accrued per unit
Translation 1 word 1
Revision 1 word 0.5
Transcription 1 word 0.5
Voice recording 1 word 1
Translation of subtitles 1 word 1
Revision of subtitles 1 word 0.5
Terminology 1 term 10
You can request rewards when you reach 5,000 points (Certification of volunteer activity), 15,000 points (Reference letter) and 30,000 points (Recommendation on professional platforms).

You can request rewards at recognition@translatorswithoutborders.org and the TWB staff will process your request within 2 business days.

Happy translating!
Elena

3 Likes

How is the terminology task working?

1 Like

Hey @Ha3ibullah!

In my case, I was contacted by TWB to help put together a glossary of terms. A humanitarian company they were collaborating with noticed some terms relating to the field had various translations in my language, so they requested TWB to create a glossary of terms to be used by translators in order to have consistency.

4 Likes