CAT Pane in Phrase TMS

Watch this webinar about the CAT Pane and the resources available in Phrase TMS (Terminology Bases, Translation Memories, Machine Translation and non-translatable matches)

The Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) pane displays segmented source text alongside matches from translation memories, term bases, and machine translations after pre-translation. Non-translatable matches are also displayed. Double click on the suggestion to apply it to the target text.

To see more information about a segment in the lower window, click on the segment in the CAT pane.

Hovering over information in the bottom window provides more detail.

|1280px;x654px;

CAT results are displayed in the following order and are color coded:

1. Green - Best translation memory or non-translatable match, based on the score.
  2. Yellow - Term base items (If there is a preferred term, it will be placed at top.)
  3. Orange - Translation memory, non-translatable, or machine translation with scores.
  4. Blue - Machine translations (with no score).
  5. Pink - Sub-segment TM (S).

How similar the new source is to what is in the Translation Memory:

• 101% - An in-context translation memory match.A greater than a 100% match indicates the context also matches what is saved in the TM.
  • 100% - An exact translation memory match.
  • 78% - A fuzzy translation memory match (anything below 100%).
  • S - A subsegment match.If a smaller part of the original text was previously translated as a short segment, the CAT pane will display it even though the match is lower then the threshold set in the Editor’s Preference.

Term Base matches

• TB indicates a suggested term from a term base.
  • TB in grey indicates a New term that has not yet been approved.
  • A term in red indicates a term that has been rejected and should not be used during translation.

When a term is selected, details are displayed at the bottom of the pane.

Machine Translation matches

Phrase estimates scores for machine translation results based on the expected post-editing required.:

• 100%: Perfect MT output - post-editing likely not required.
  • 99%: Near-perfect MT output - minor post-editing required; likely formatting or punctuation issues.
  • 75%: Good MT match, some human post-editing required.
  • No score: Output should be checked by a Linguist.

What is a translation memory or TM?

A database consisting of original source text and its respective translated segments.
It works by automatically reusing any segments that are the same or similar on new projects.
The more our community translates, the more this database grows, and the higher the chance is of finding translation memory matches.

What is a Term Base or TB?

A term base is a terminology database. It includes glossaries.

23 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Child and Adolescent Maltreatment Study 26785

Hello. I have just watched the excellent Memsource video you produced for us. My question is, when I start translating the CAT pane tells me there are no resources for TM, TB and MT.
Can you help me? This is my first task and I am keen to get it 100% correct!
Many thanks
Penelope

3 Likes

Hi @Penelope

I’m glad you found the Memsource webinar useful :star_struck:

If you can’t see any resources for the TM, TB and MT then unfortunately it means we haven’t got any for that project.

We are working on increasing the number of resources available to assist translations and this will also increase as more translations are completed using Memsource!

You can always reach out to the project manager by posting on the project thread as they may have more information for you :+1:

Thanks for reaching out on this, Penelope :smiley:

4 Likes

Charlotte, thank you. It was late and I was tired - I should have worked that out for myself!

1 Like

No problem @Penelope!

We’re always here to help! So feel free to ask any questions on the forum, as it’s better than struggling alone :hugs:

2 Likes

Hello, I received in my email a text to translate from English to Portuguese. I would like what is the link to use the Memosource and how can I get the texto to translate.

Thank you,

Valquiria

Hi @pimentel.valquiria20

Firstly welcome to the TWB Community :star_struck: :star2:

To access a translation, you must first claim in! You can find and claim tasks by following the steps in this tutorial here

All available tasks in your language pairs will be on the homepage!

I’d also encourage you to check out our Translator’s Toolkit which has lots of useful information to help you get started with TWB!

1 Like

hello this is my first time working with memsource ,
while translating the phrase appears to be correct at the CAT tab with mark 101

but back at the translation workspace the marks doesn’t change

Hi @javis

Firstly, welcome to TWB!

I’ve moved your comment to this thread which has more information about the CAT pane in Memsource :+1:

If you take a look at the post at the top of this thread, it explains what the numbers mean :smiley:

I hope this clears things up for you, Chaouki!

1 Like

thanks
now i understand the notations of the tool , but that not my issue
no matter how I change the text, these numbers don’t change or update with the new changes

1 Like

Hi @javis

I’m glad the information in this post was useful!

The numbers don’t change, they simply tell you how much of a match the translation memory is :smiley:

1 Like