Arabic glossary and terminology discussion

@higheranarchyPearls are formed over time when an organic invader burrows deep into the soft tissues of a mollusk . The mollusk then coats the intruder with many layers of natural minerals and proteins, referred to as nacre (Nay-Ker). This is what gives pearls their unique appearance, beautiful luster and color.”

Found this explanation of the phenomena on google. I hope it can help you contextualize “Organic invader”. Do you think طفيلي عضوي may be a good fit here?
Or طفيليات عضوية
Or متطفل عضوي
?

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help. Yes, I’ve also found this explanation. I decided to translate it to <<مهاجم عضوي>> since the word ‘intruder’ follows to address the object in question. You’re always a help, thank you both>

2 Likes

Hi @higheranarchy, @faretto5 and @attiehgaella, thank you for the lovely exchange and for supporting each other ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

مرحباً، سؤال لمتمرسي اللغة العربية: هل يجوز وضع إسم الإشارة بعد الصفة والاسم المذكورين؟ وإن جاز فهل هو شائع الاستخدام؟
مثل:
“توضح نتائج الاختبارات هذه” لعدم وجوب قول “توضح هذه نتائج الاختبارات” بسبب التعريف؟

وأيضاً سؤال بخصوص علامات الترقيم لاختلاف بنية الجملة الانكليزية عن العربية: إن ابتدئنا الكلام بجملة اسمية مثل الجملة التي قلتها قبل قليل “وإن جاز فهل هو شائع”، هل يجب وضع فاصلة في هذه الحالة بين نهاية الجملة الإسمية والجملة التي تليها؟

وهل نضع واو العطف وفاصلة بعد كل تعداد عند عد مجموعة من الأشياء في اللغة العربية أم نقوم بوضع فاصلة وحرف عطف قبل آخر تعداد فقط كما في الإنكليزي

أعتذر عن الإكثار من الأسئلة ولكن لم أجد إجابةً لهذه الأسئلة في أي مكان آخر

شكراً لجهودكم مسبقاً :pray:

5 Likes

Hello @yazan1alnaim2, and welcome to the community! :cherry_blossom:

Thank you for all these great questions! I’ll answer each one respectively.

1- Yes, it is absolutely common and sounds more native to insert the “demonstrative nouns” after the noun in this case, it’s grammatically the right option.

2- I believe the sentence you’ve mentioned (توضح نتائج الاختبارات هذه) is (جملة فعلية وليست اسمية). However, it is ok to use الجمل الاسمية in your translation, but using a comma or a period between the sentences depends on the relation between the sentences if they are related to each other or not. You might sometimes use a comma especially if they are related, even if a period is used in the source text. Try to use your best judgement, and if you’re not sure about this, you can post the segment here and I’ll help you figure out how to deal with it.

3- Using a comma, the conjunction و or both in Arabic can be tricky sometimes and it is not proceeded as in English. In all cases you need to use the conjunction. Here is how :
a. If the conjunction is connecting words (nouns, verbes or adjectives…), you need to use و every single time without using the comma.
b. If the conjunction is connecting phrases regardless to their type (i.e. سواء كانت الجمل اسمية أو فعلية), you need to insert both a comma and the conjunction و between the phrases every time (one last tip, there is always a space after the comma, but no spaces are needed after و).

Also, you can have a look at the Arabic Style Guide developed by TWB staff. It’s a great one, I’m sure you’ll find it helpful. :dizzy:

Hope this makes sense! Let me know if you have any other questions or if something is still not clear enough and I’ll be happy to help! :blossom:

8 Likes

Hi @yazan1alnaim2, thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the community! :sunny:

Thank you so much @SalwaAlrifai for such a comprehensive and detailed message :heart_decoration:

If you haven’t yet, you could also take a look at our Translator’s Toolkit, where you’ll find all the information you need to get started with us :toolbox:

Thank you for your support and do let us know if you have any questions! :blush:

7 Likes

Thank you for this thorough explanation. A great community indeed.
Well the most recurring issue I encounter is connecting phrases in Arabic. What I mean is that in English we can write a whole paragraph without using conjunctions once, and the ideas will still be connected and the text will still feel fluid; meanwhile in Arabic, I feel like I need to use some kind of a connecter between every sentence and the other. However, when I do this (the repetitive use of conjunctions and sentence connecters , it sounds a bit non-authentic; it feels forced. What are some possible solutions to this? A more professional yet coherent way to tackle the problem if I may ask?

I’ll provide an example in the next reply to avoid the lengthy message and sorry for spamming the thread.

1 Like

The in-plane and out-of-plane behaviors of solid-walls play an important role to avoid overall structure collapse by resisting earthquake forces. Out-of-plane behavior is crucial than the in-plane behavior. In this paper, an effort is being made to understand the out-of-plane behavior of mortar-free interlocking solid-walls under seismic loading through literature research. Both full scale and scaled-down walls are considered. Different types of interlocking solid-walls studied by different researchers through physical testing are being discussed along with their testing mechanism and studied parameters. Special focus is made on exploring the behavior considering their boundary conditions, loading types, wall thickness to height ratio, and use of hollow or solid interlocking blocks etc.

اكتسبت أعمال البناء المتشابكة الخالية من الملاط شعبية كبيرة نتيجةً لسهولة تشييدها وتبديدها للطاقة غير الجيدة، ولكن تقدمها على المستوى المحلي في البلدان الناشئة محدود جداً من ناحية ديناميكية. يلعب السلوك المستوي وغير المستوي للجدران المصمتة دوراً مهماً في تجنب الانهيار الكلي للأبنية عبر مقاومة القوى الزلزالية. ويُعتبر السلوك غير المستوي أكثر أهمية من السلوك المستوي. وتحاول هذه الدراسة فهم السلوك غير المستوي للجدران المصمتة المتشابكة الخالية من الملاط تحت تأثير التحليل الزلزالي عن طريق البحث في المنشورات. وتؤخذ كل من الجدران المصغرة والجدران كاملة الحجم بعين الاعتبار. كما يتم نقاش أنواع مختلفة من الجدران المصمتة المتشابكة المدروسة من قبل مختلف الباحثين بوساطة الاختبار الفيزيائي بالإضافة إلى آلية الاختبار والمعايير المدروسة. وقد تم التركيز بشكل خاص على استكشاف السلوك مع أخذ الظروف الحدية، وأنواع التحميل، ونسبة السماكة على الطول، واستخدام الكتل المتشابكة المصمتة أو المجوفة بعين الاعتبار.

This is a sample of a recent text I translated; in Arabic, I had to use “و” a lot, which felt a bit weak. Thanks a lot for your support and again sorry for the lengthy questions

1 Like

Hi again @yazan1alnaim2,

OK! I see what you mean. I have to say that the cohesion of the text in Arabic isn’t bad at all! As long as the text flows well and there is no difficulty for the reader to follow up with it, there is nothing to worry about. :smiley:

There is no doubt that using some other linkers would be better, such as (كما، بالإضافة إلى ذلك، في حين، على الرغم من ذلك، و، فاء السببية، لكن، إلى ذلك، لذلك…الخ). Using these also depends on the relation between the sentences if the second is a reason, a consequence or a complement for the first one. I believe you can easily figure out which one to use if you understand the text correctly.

Hope this helps! But never hesitate to ask if something else comes up! We are all here to help and support each other. :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Thank you, I honestly appreciate people taking their time to help others, and I’ll happily help when I get the chance to :blue_heart: :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @yazan1alnaim2, @SalwaAlrifai and @higheranarchy thank you so much for this exchange! It’s wonderful to see you very engaged and supportive of each other :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you again and have a great week :sunny:

2 Likes

Hello there, hope you’re doing well
What do you think is the best way to translate the following phrase, taking into consideration that it is a subtitle: “Relocating the least accessible warehouse”.
is “نقل المستودع الأكثر صعوبة في الوصول إليه” correct?

2 Likes

Hi @higheranarchy, :sunflower:

Yes, your proposed translation is very good.

2 Likes

Good morning friends, what’s the best translation for plotted against in the following context:
“Usually, plotting against x is a plot of function f(x) against a horizontal value of x: f(x) Therefore, plotting y against x. y = f(x) which is a mapping of y values against a range of x values related thro the function f(x).”

1 Like

Thanks @ambra,

I see that we can not download that glossary, is this your policy in TWB?

I appreciate you help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Lamine

Yes, the download option for this document isn’t available! However, you can access the glossary via the link online :computer:

You can always save the link as a bookmark so you can find it easily :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I see, thank you @charlotte1, it’s a good idea!

2 Likes

سلاسل الإمداد أو سلاسل التوريد

2 Likes

Thanks for your input, @Waleed1! :star2:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: MAGS Mentee and Mentor Application Offline 33900