Arabic glossary and terminology discussion

:question: Do you have a question about a text or a term you are translating from or into Arabic? Please ask here!

Don’t forget to check our Arabic Glossary - the term you are looking for could be there already! If not, please post a message to this thread. The TWB staff, translators and nonprofit partners will see it and send their suggestions.

Some of our amazing translators provide glossaries for the benefit of the community.

You can check the glossary covering several areas, including law, social science, and even technical areas put together by our amazing @Ebtihal here.

16 Likes

Hello,
Please can you tell me the best equivalent for the words " ecosystem" and "localisation in Arabic?

3 Likes

Hello Yomna,

Ecosystem: النظام البيئي

Best,
Ebtihal :cherry_blossom:

8 Likes

Thanks a lot Ebtihal :cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding some of the translation tasks I’ve worked on (English to Arabic). Do I translate the author names as well? For some organizations, the tasks are from research studies, and there are many names for the authors who worked on the project. What is the correct protocol?

Also, this question applies to acronyms and abbreviation as well.

2 Likes

Hello there Aalya,

Thank you for raising a very important question!
As a rule of thumb, you should always translate acronyms, abbreviations, and author names (as well as the other parts of references etc.) unless there are instructions telling you to keep them in the source language.
Ideally, official translations should always be used, but since they are not always available, you can instead translate the acronym or abbreviation yourself, and then include the English between brackets. (You do not have to do this with names unless you are not sure of how to translate them)
The same issue (and more) has already been discussed in the Arabic Style Guide which you can view here:
https://community.translatorswb.org/uploads/default/original/2X/b/b4bc7053109816b78f6a6cbb19094c333183a10a.pdf
Hope this helps!

6 Likes

thanks alot mohannad
it is very great guide for clarification and TWB style

2 Likes

Thank you for your help in advance. While translating a task by TWO I have found two terms “the oncomelanid snail burden”, “Oncomelania hupensis” that I searched on Wikipedia though knew the whole concept of the idea but not finding exact expression to it.

2 Likes

Hi, @Sara15! Thank you for reaching out :slight_smile: I believe you’re referring to this task, is that correct? If that’s the case, you can always find the TWB Community topic for any task you’re working on by going to your Claimed Tasks on TWB Platform and clicking the link next to “Discuss this task on TWB Community.”

I’ll tag the PM for this project in your project’s TWB Community topic so that she can see your question and let us know about a translation for these terms.

2 Likes

Hi Muhannad,
I read through your reply and the guidelines for acronyms and still have a question. If the acronyms are not for a name do we still add the English acronym in brackets? the example I have is for SMART objectives, which was translated " الأهداف الذكية" I am revising that to the translation of the original sentence المحددة والقابلة للقياس والتحقيق وذات صلة ومحددة المدة الزمنية. Now do I add (SMART) in brackets?

1 Like

Hi @Mary5,
Thank you for asking about this!
I suggest that you add this “(SMART اختصارها بالإنكليزية)” after your translation. This would be useful for those who are familiar with this acronym in English

2 Likes

Hi Muhannad,
I am wondering if there is list of approved translations for organizations’ names? I usually search online at the organization’s website, but some organizations don’t have Arabic version. I am looking at an NGO called “Humanity and Inclusion”.

3 Likes

Hi @Mary5,
Thank you for asking about this!
Unfortunately, there isn’t a list that contains the names of every organization. You are still on the right path, as the first thing to do is to adopt the official translation, if it is available. If it isn’t, then you need to follow the standard practice provided in the TWB Arabic Style Guide for translating such names into Arabic. I’ll summarize what it says for you:

1. Find the official translation adopted by the organization/company itself. If not found, proceed to the next point.
  2. Translate the name of the organization into Arabic (in this case for example الإنسانية والشمول), be sure to add an identifying word before the translated name (for example منظمة الإنسانية والشمول) and then add the original English name between brackets right after it (in this case for example (Humanity and Inclusion) منظمة الإنسانية والشمول). If the name is untranslatable, proceed to the next point.
  3. Sometimes the names can be blends, puns, coined words, proper nouns, a play on words etc. that cannot be translated or would make no sense if translated. In this case, it would be better to transliterate the name into Arabic and then add the English between brackets right after it.

I Hope this helps. Let me know should you need further clarification!

3 Likes

Thank you, this is very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi :blush: just wanna check the meaning of “supply chain” is it قوافل الإمدادات؟ thanks in advance :blush:

4 Likes

Any suggestions from our gurus @Muhannad or @Ahmed.Hassan? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Aya_Alrifai,
Thanks for asking! I suggest that you translate this as “سلسلة الإمداد”, unless the context specifically refers to “caravans/convoys”. If you are still unsure, please share the context of this phrase with me.

6 Likes

In an environment where the entire humanitarian supply chain faces challenges such as lack of supplies availability, actual demand exceeds supplies manufacturing capacities, markets with flooded counterfeit supplies not complying minimum quality standards, country restrictions in terms of export, lack of opportunities to ship supplies to operational counties and sites, shipment delays etc, this Directive is to accelerate sourcing and procurement management with a certain degree of flexibility and ensure an adequate levels of compliance

This is a segment from the task

1 Like