Arabic glossary and terminology discussion

@Muhannad9222 The acronym BIPOC stands for “black, Indigenous and people of color.” I wanted to know what’s the best way to translate the Acronym is it ok like this ‘’ السود و السكان الأصليون و أصحاب البشرة الملونة’’

2 Likes

@Chaima, thanks for clarifying. Your proposed translation is good!

3 Likes

How do I insert symbols like > appropriately?
Regards,

2 Likes

hi everyone,
I wanna know if I am supposed to translate the abbreviation of the names(which are usually between brackets)that relate to the sources the survey has been taken from?

3 Likes

Hi @lujainb87, :cherry_blossom:,

Welcome to the community! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

We do usually translate these acronyms into Arabic and then insert the abbreviations in English between brackets. But as a general rule, we do not translate the ressources. Well, only if it is specified in the project’s description. So I encourage you to post a message in the thread specific to the project you are working on to double check with the Project Officer. Here is a video tutorial to learn how to find it.

Hope this makes sense! But please let me know if you still have any questions! I’ll be more than glad to help. :blossom:

6 Likes

OK, many thanks for your help :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Hello again,
I am new here so I am not that familiar with the rules.
So I want to know if I can edit my translation after I had submitted my task?

2 Likes

Hi @lujainb87, :blossom:

No worries at all! We all need some time to know how things work out around. It is all a learning curve. :smiley:

Well, if you would like to modify something and you have just submitted your work (no more than couple of hours), then it is should be fine. You can go to your “Claimed Tasks” tab, choose “Complete” from the “Task Status” and press “Filter Task Stream”. This will take you to all your completed tasks. Press on the name of the task you are referring to and you will be taken to the submission task page. Scroll down and choose “click here to view your translation” as you can see in the image:

Or you can simply go to the email notification you have received after claiming the task, and have access to the translation from the link provided in this email. But in all cases, you will need to resubmit your task after applying any changes on Kató TM.

However, if you have submitted your work earlier this week, then there is a chance that it has already been revised. So again, you need to post a message in the thread specific to the the project you are working on to ask the Project Officer if it is OK to insert any changes. Please refer to my previous reply to learn how to find the right thread to post your message.

Hope this helps! But you can always ask if you have any further questions! :sunflower::dizzy:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot :heart::heart: @SalwaAlrifai
I’ll follow your guidelines.

2 Likes

Hello,
I’m having a little hard-time translating this phrase:
Therapeutic inhibition of the virally encoded HIV protease became particularly attractive due to prior knowledge of mechanism-based inhibition of other aspartyl proteases.
With the problematic terms being mainly “virally encoded HIV protease”, “mechanism-based inhibition”.
Any help would be much appreciated and needless to state that I truly admire what you do here. :pray:

ان التثبيط العلاجي لبروتياز فيروس نقص المناعة البشرية
HIV
المشفرة فيروسيًّا
اصبح مثيرًا على نحو خاص نظرًا الى المعرفة المسبقة
بالتثبيط القائم على الآلية لبروتيازات الأسبارتيل الاخرى

(this is the whole sentence but consecutively divided into fragments so the post format won’t be reversed)
Would it be helpful? @higheranarchy

3 Likes

Hi @higheranarchy thanks for reaching out! :blush: Thank you @attiehgaella for supporting your fellow translators :love_letter:
I am going to tag @Muhannad in case he has more suggestions for you :sunny:

2 Likes

Of course it is helpful. Thank you a lot. :pray: :pray:

2 Likes

Yes, I’d actually love to hear Muhannad’s approach. Thank you for your help and good spirit, it always shows what a great community that you have here.

1 Like

Good morning people, I want to ask what is the best way to translate this sentence if you may <3. “Pearls are formed over time when an organic invader burrows deep into the soft tissues of a mollusc.” Especially, what’s ‘organic invader’ meaning in this context

1 Like

Hi @higheranarchy,
do you know how pearls are formed? Maybe the knowledge of it might help you to understand the meaning of “organic invader”. This is just a suggestion.
I hope this helps
Best.
L

2 Likes

@higheranarchyPearls are formed over time when an organic invader burrows deep into the soft tissues of a mollusk . The mollusk then coats the intruder with many layers of natural minerals and proteins, referred to as nacre (Nay-Ker). This is what gives pearls their unique appearance, beautiful luster and color.”

Found this explanation of the phenomena on google. I hope it can help you contextualize “Organic invader”. Do you think طفيلي عضوي may be a good fit here?
Or طفيليات عضوية
Or متطفل عضوي
?

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help. Yes, I’ve also found this explanation. I decided to translate it to <<مهاجم عضوي>> since the word ‘intruder’ follows to address the object in question. You’re always a help, thank you both>

2 Likes

Hi @higheranarchy, @faretto5 and @attiehgaella, thank you for the lovely exchange and for supporting each other ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

مرحباً، سؤال لمتمرسي اللغة العربية: هل يجوز وضع إسم الإشارة بعد الصفة والاسم المذكورين؟ وإن جاز فهل هو شائع الاستخدام؟
مثل:
“توضح نتائج الاختبارات هذه” لعدم وجوب قول “توضح هذه نتائج الاختبارات” بسبب التعريف؟

وأيضاً سؤال بخصوص علامات الترقيم لاختلاف بنية الجملة الانكليزية عن العربية: إن ابتدئنا الكلام بجملة اسمية مثل الجملة التي قلتها قبل قليل “وإن جاز فهل هو شائع”، هل يجب وضع فاصلة في هذه الحالة بين نهاية الجملة الإسمية والجملة التي تليها؟

وهل نضع واو العطف وفاصلة بعد كل تعداد عند عد مجموعة من الأشياء في اللغة العربية أم نقوم بوضع فاصلة وحرف عطف قبل آخر تعداد فقط كما في الإنكليزي

أعتذر عن الإكثار من الأسئلة ولكن لم أجد إجابةً لهذه الأسئلة في أي مكان آخر

شكراً لجهودكم مسبقاً :pray:

5 Likes