What is a false positive?

Hello,

I am still relatively news to the world of translations. I have come up a few time with the term ‘false positive’. Can someone please explain to me what this means.

Thank you for your help.

Sandrine

When running QA (quality assurance) reports, you will encounter false positives. They are correct segments wrongly flagged as errors.
Example:

Source (en-GB): Could we meet on 3/4/2017 at 2:30pm?
Target (fr-FR): Est-ce qu’on peut se rencontrer le 3 avril 2017 à 14h30?
Number ‘4’ is missing from the target, so that would be marked as an error – however we know the date is correctly localized, so that’s a false positive.

You can find this example and some more information on the topic in this article.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @ElenaF.

Bonne journée

Sandrine

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Happy translating! :smiley_cat:

Hello to both.
This is my first day here and my very first post.
(I am looking for a thread that may already have answered a question I have.)
(Have not found it yet but I came across this FAQ that caught my eye.)

Question about false positives:
@ElenaF
So if a false positive shows up and, like in your example, things are correct, What follows?
Just check it as completed?

Hello Marco, welcome to the community :smiley_cat:

Sometimes (depending on the projects settings set by the project manager) you cannot complete a task without running the QA. So, when you run the QA, mark the false positives as “ignore”, then complete the task. If you encounter fals positives in a task that can be submitted without running the QA, just ignore them and click on “Complete” when you’re finished with the translation.

Hi Elena.
Thx for the welcome greeting.
I’ll keep your advice in a note while I get used to it.
Have a great day.

1 Like