Project Let's Make Pain Visible - Asking for help with translations

My name is Jordi Miró and I am a professor of Health Psychology at the University Rovira-Virgili (URV; Tarragona, Spain). For more than 30 years I have devoted my working life to studying and treating people with chronic pain.

In all these years, it has come to my attention that, despite having the most needs, the most vulnerable populations are the ones that receive the least attention. The case of children is a paradigmatic example, as is the case of blind people.

Indeed, research has shown that blind people are more sensitive to pain, and are more vigilant to painful stimuli. Research has also shown that hypersensitivity and hypervigilance are risk factors for chronic pain. Even so, there is very little specific research on the problems caused by chronic pain in people with vision problems, and much less on the most appropriate treatments, or on the development of treatments, for the needs of this population.

For these reasons the URV’s Chair in Pediatric Pain, in collaboration with healthcare professionals and blind people, is about to undertake a project to find data that will enable the following questions to be solved: 1) What are the most common pain problems?, and 2) What treatment needs do blind and low-vision individuals have? The aim is to develop better treatments, including those supported by mobile applications, that can improve the quality of life of individuals with visual problems who also suffer from pain. We intend it to be an international study and we are contacting you to request your help.

The aim of the project is to make the collected data available to all researchers in the world so that they can carry out studies in this field. The data will be open access. It is a collaborative project that aspires to be useful to all people with this type of problem, regardless of their gender, age, and nationality.

The project will be undertaken in three phases. The objectives of the first one are to identify common pain problems, their characteristics and treatment needs. The second has been designed specifically for blind and low-vision individuals, who also suffer from chronic pain. In this phase, more specific data will be collected on pain and the factors that are associated with its impact, which will be used to develop specific new treatments based on these factors. And the third will develop and study the efficacy of specific treatments supported by mobile applications, which will be free and available to all who need them (healthcare professionals, patients, families, associations, etc.).

At this point, the online survey and associated information is available in Catalan, Spanish, English, French, and Arabic, and we have some friends that are helping to translate them into Romanian, Portuguese, Italian, German, Ukrainian, and Mandarin. None of them are professional translators. The thing is that we cannot afford to pay for the translations, but some people like the project and are willing to donate their time to help us.

We want this project and the outcomes to be available (for free) to all individuals that need support and treatment (anywhere in the world, and at any time). However, in order to be able to do so, we need to have the materials in languages that we do not know. We need to translate the materials, and have no funds for this. A friend of a friend suggested me that I reached to you to ask for help. So here you have my post and request.

Would you please be willing to help us?

I could send you more information so that you have a better idea of what it is that I am asking for. The word count feature of the “Word” program tells me that the two documents are 800 words long, this includes an invitation letter for the national associations for the blinds to participate and the first online survey.

I hope you like the project and the aims, and will be able to help us. If you do, and you are interested in helping us, please send me a message at: jordi.miro@urv.cat I will get back to you right away.

I look forward receiving your response to my request.

Kind regards,

Jordi

12 Likes

Hi Jordi, It is a wonderful idea and I think this is the right place to get help, I would be glad to provide my help too, I can translate English forms into Arabic.

Best regards
Aisha

3 Likes

Hi Jordi,

I have just sent you an email.

All the best,

Alessandra

2 Likes

Hello Jordi,

This is a great initiative and helping initiatives like yours with translations is why we’re all here!
I see that you have a volunteer to translate the text into Romanian, but if for some reason they can’t deliver, or for any future help, I’m available and ready to translate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello Jordi,
I would like to offer my help and just sent you an email :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Many thanks for you @Jordi for posting this interesting opportunity :dizzy: and for our amazing volunteers who are willing to help :orange_heart:

I would also suggest that some volunteers work on translating the project, while others work on the revision. This could help to have more volunteers participate in this work, and ensure coming out with the best version of it :star2:

6 Likes

Hello Jordi :slight_smile:

I have just sent you an e-mail.
I’m available to either translate or revise (Brazilian Portuguese) in case you still need help.

All the best,

1 Like

This is a very clever suggestion. Thanks a lot!!
Jordi

1 Like

Hello, Jordi! I am also available for either translation or revision from Spanish or English to Portuguese. Regards

1 Like

I would like to thank the TWB Kató Community for such an impressive response to my request for help.

I think I have replied to all messages I received. I have done it directly to the personal email address of who responded. As I was new to this, I did not reply using this tool. Sorry for that!

If some of you still are wondering about joining “Let’s Make Pain Visible”, let me say that the project will be open for a long time, as there are 3 planned phases. Therefore, if you cannot collaborate now, or next month, or in months… there will be opportunities to help if you so wish. We will be adding new languages/translations to the project when we have them. Therefore, please, let me know now, or whenever it is possible, if you can help (jordi.miro@urv.cat). The objective is to be able to help as many people as possible, anywhere, regardless of the language.

Your willingness to share your time and knowledge is a true blessing to the project, and the blind individuals suffering from chronic pain that we want to help.

Kind regards,

Jordi

6 Likes

Dear Kirti,
Would you please provide an email where I could send you the materials that we need to translate? Please send it to: jordi.miro@urv.cat
Thanks a lot!!
Jordi
I tried to correspond to you when I saw this, but the system did not allow me to send more than one message

Hi @Jordi

This is to let you know tht I changed the setting so you can keep leaving posts in this thread, if you need ay assistance, please contact us at translators@translatorswithoutborders.org :innocent:

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Hello Jordi,
I am glad to help, as i am able to translate from English into Arabic.
Warm regards

Dear Mannaisamah:
Thanks for your kind offer. We have the Arabic translation covered already, but we surely will need additional help in the close future. Would you mind sending me a message to my address (jordi.miro@urv.cat), so that I could add you to the list of reviewers that are willing to help?
Kind regards,
Jordi

1 Like

Hi Jordi,
I would love to contribute to this great initiative. I can translate your documents into French. I just sent you my contact info by email.

Best of luck with your project,
Lina

Thank you so much Lina! The number of translations is growing.
Thanks a lot to the TWB community!!
Jordi

1 Like

Hello Jordi!

I can help with translating into Tagalog/Filipino!

Thank you!

Hi Jordi,
I can help with French too - I see you have it covered so far but in case you need to translate some additional documents- I just sent you an email as well:)
All the best to you and your project:))
Aurore

Thanks Claizza!
I just sent you the documents.
Kind regards,
Jordi