Want to share your TWB translation?

If a project is open to the public and you find it online, you can share it.

However, because we are only able to deliver high-quality translations thanks to our community as a whole, please stress that you contributed to a project for TWB and the extent of your contribution (for example chunks, a translation task, a revision task, etc.). This way, we acknowledge the key roles that teamwork and collaboration play!

If the translation is not open to the public, please contact translators@translatorswithouborders.org with the details of the translation you would like to use and we will look into it.

32 Likes

I actually have a suggestion: I donā€™t know if this is possible, but it would be awesome if the translatorsā€™ and editorsā€™ names could appear at the bottom of the translated texts on the websites where the texts are published.

A signature-sentence as small as ā€œTranslated by X, proofread by Yā€.

I have been thinking to use some translations that I am doing for TWB in my portfolio, but unfortunately I have no way of ā€œprovingā€ that I am indeed the translator behind the text.

And public recognition would be highly motivating for every translator :wink:

45 Likes

Hi @Antoine_Wicquart
It would indeed be amazing to get public recognition for our work.
My understanding is that if names get put onto the documents there then becomes a legal issue over who owns the document: the original author or the translator?
I think in many cases TWB doesnt get recognition that it is the translating company and I believe this is more or less standard in the industry (please correct me someone if Iā€™m wrong). We are the silent elves who come in the night to keep the shoemakers factory running. :star:

18 Likes

Thank you for your answer @Avellana :slight_smile:

I think in many cases TWB doesnt get recognition that it is the translating company

I donā€™t understand what you mean with ā€œtranslation companyā€ - Is there an intermediary between TWB and the organisations that benefit from TWBā€™s volunteer services?

Yes it is indeed the standard when you work with agencies, but I thought that it might be different here and that TWB was not a ā€œproperā€ translation agency.

4 Likes

Hi @Antoine_Wicquart

Sorry if I wasnā€™t clear. By translation ā€˜companyā€™ I meant that TWB acts in a similar way to an agency in that it matches translators with projects. Although TWB is a charity not an agency/company set out to make money from their work.

Perhaps @JoannaW, @Silvia_Mauri or possibly @ambra can help with this as I am a volunteer like yourself. :grinning:

6 Likes

Hi everyone and thanks a million for the interesting conversation that you started here :slight_smile:

In some cases and for some specific projects, partners do ask the names of the translators working on them because they would like to feature them on their websites. Other projects simply arenā€™t publicly available and the name of the translator isnā€™t displayed anywhere.

I agree that it would be great to give TWB translators more visibility for the work they do. Itā€™s also a technical challenge we need to address. In our plans for 2021 thereā€™s also implementing technology in our database to automatically create a list with names and email addresses of people who worked on a specific project and indicated they would like to be publicly credited, if possible. This will make it easier for TWB and the nonprofit organization to provide some sort of public recognition in a more systematic way.

And remember that if you would like TWB to confirm with anyone that you worked on a project, you only need to contact us and we will take care of that for you! :wink:

37 Likes

Awesome, many thanks for your feedback! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, It might be stupid but Iā€™m not really sure of the part Iā€™ve translated once itā€™s uploaded. How do we know? Is there something/some document that provides details: who did what for each project?

4 Likes

Hi everybody,

I am sorry for my (stupid) question, but I was wondering how do we know if a project is open to the public. Iā€™m asking it, because I would like to share on my website some of the translations I made.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

5 Likes

Good evening @Emilie4 and @Alex9 :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

Never think that - there are no stupid nor wrong questions. And, as a matter of fact, your questions are actually great questions.Many volunteers wonder about these things, so I will try to shed some light on the subject. :flashlight: :grin:

Regarding @Emilie4ā€™s questions:

• :white_check_mark: The best way to make sure you know which part you either translated or revised, the best strategy is to save a copy of your work. You can also save the link to KatĆ³ TM. If you have neither, you can reach out to the PM responsible for your project and ask them to send you the KatĆ³ link, so you can save your work;

• Usually, when organizations publish the documents we translate / revise, etc., volunteersā€™ names arenā€™t mentioned. Some organizations, like INEE, include a line acknowledging the document was translated by Translators without Borders; others donā€™t. In short, thereā€™s no official way to know who did what. So, if you want to share your work, you need to write down the task type (translation / revision / transcription, etc), the project (and if it is a chunked project, the specific chunk(s) you have worked on), and the organization youā€™ve contributed to.

This brings us to @Alex9ā€™s question:

• A way to know if your project is open to the public is looking for it on Google. In most cases (at least thatā€™s my experience as a Portuguese translator), you can find it on the organizationā€™s website. I think the project will only not be open to the public if the content is somehow sensitive :bust_in_silhouette: - like an interview of a victim / witness - or meant to be private :x: - like a medical report, or perhaps a training session. But I will tag our kind @JoannaW, so she can either confirm or rectify this information (thanks in advance, Joanna :slight_smile: :heart:).

• After locating the project you contributed to, all you know need to do is find the page(s) including the work youā€™ve submitted. But please note that some organizations (like INEE) submit projects to a final revision stage on their end, introducing changes here and there, so the published work may look slightly different from the translation / revision you originally uploaded.

I hope this helps. :wink:

Have a great evening, Emilie and Alessandra. :star2:

13 Likes

Hi @Alex9,
I can only say that Evidence-Aid is online. If you havenā€™t been able to find it, yet, the link is: Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Evidence Aid Evidence Aid
Have a nice morning!:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you so much @andfraz & @faretto5 for your reply. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Have a nice day/evening :sun_with_face::full_moon_with_face:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for this lovely discussion! As usual the lovely @andfraz is spot on :star_struck:

@Emilie4, if you havenā€™t saved your work for a task youā€™d like to share, feel free to email us and weā€™ll let you know which section you worked on :slight_smile:

@Alex9 If you arenā€™t sure if a project is open to the public, send us an email and we will look into it for you :face_with_monocle:

Thank you @faretto5 for sharing this information! :star2:

6 Likes

Thanks to @JoannaW @faretto5 & @andfraz for your answers :grinning:
@JoannaW Iā€™ll definitely ask for help in case Iā€™d have problems finding out whether a project is open to the public or not u.u

4 Likes

Hi @JoannaW,

thank you for the precious information! :star_struck:

Does this mean that I can show my translation work / text in my personal portfolio if I find it already published online (I mean showing the source and the target text I translated)?
I just want to be sure before I do anything wrong. :blush:

And is it okay if we mention the link where the translation text is (together with both source and target text) in the portfolio or can we only show both source and target text?
(I ask this because I found both my first two projects on the page of the organisation which provided a reference link on the translation project itself, and by clicking on it and switching the language into Italian, there it was, my translation!! :heart_eyes:)

Thank you in advance, enjoy your weekend! :star_struck:

8 Likes

Hi @Ludovica92

Thanks for your questions :smiley:

Yes, I believe that if the translation is public, then you can share it as part of your portfolio and you can share the link to where the translation is published online!

Thatā€™s great to hear you found your first two projects on the organisationā€™s page! Itā€™s an amazing feeling to see how your contribution makes a difference for the organisation :star_struck:

Have a lovely day, Ludovica :sunflower:

9 Likes

Yes, it is wonderful.:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:thank you again :blush::blush:

2 Likes

Hi @charlotte1, a new question pops up :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

Some projects are revised, before being completed. In case a text has been stylistic revised and improved, and this text is published, can we still use the translation (revised) in our portfolio? Or how is it in that case? (At the end it was a kind of two-peopleā€™s work, where the reviewer made some further changes on the text and I donā€™t know which text can be shown in my portfolio :rofl:).
Should there be a note (under the text) about the revision?

Thank you in advance :blush: :blush: :heartpulse: :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Hi @charlotte1, sorry for bothering :rofl: :rofl: :heartpulse: :heartpulse:
Could you please let me know how to proceed in cases where the translation has also been revised? (see question above)

Not urgent, so thereā€™s no need to answer in the weekend, but it would be great to know how to proceed in such cases (regarding the personal portfolio) :blush: :blush:

I wish you a nice day and a great weekend! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :pray: :heartpulse:

7 Likes

Hi @Ludovica92

Thanks for following up on this!

We donā€™t have a specific policy on this, so weā€™d advise you to use your best judgment here. You could use the translation as a part of your portfolio but specify that it is a revised version, for example.

I hope this has provided some guidance, Ludovica :blush:

8 Likes