An Interview with TWB Translators: Responding to a tsunami with translation

The experience showed that even the tiniest act of kindness and help can really matter.

@Indras, translator and quality reviewer for TWB :star2:

On 22 December 2018, a tsunami struck the Banten Province in Western Java, Indonesia, resulting in hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries. The international response offered monetary aid and supplies for the Indonesian community, and TWB’s translators volunteered to ensure that those in need got vital information in a language they understood.

This month, we focus on one translator in particular, Indras Wulandar, whose dedication, skill, and speed made a difference in the wake of this tragedy.

Indras

Indras, who has been working as a professional English-Indonesian and English-Javanese translator for many years, made outstanding contributions during this time by reviewing Indonesian translators’ tests, which allowed TWB to recruit more translators to respond to the crisis.

This wasn’t Indras’s first time translating during a crisis: A few months earlier, she had helped respond to the earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi. For many who speak Indonesian as their mother language, this was a significant project. It provided health and safety information in a language shared by people caught in the natural disaster.

As a strong believer in life-long learning and self-improvement, Indras is a keen translation reviewer, helping to ensure that we provide high-quality translations to non-profits over the world. In situations like this, it is vital that people get the information they need in a timely manner, and in a language they understand.

Never stop learning and improving yourself. Like the old saying goes, ‘the more you know, the more you don’t know.

Read the full blog post here! :books:

10 Likes

Dear Indras,

I am a French to English translator and would like to chip in my two cents as concerns the welfare of Kato. Please, kindly notify me as concerns growing my reputation and participating to many Translation and Proofreading projects on this platform. I look forward to hearing from you.
With warmest regards
Stephane

1 Like

Hi @STEPHANE1,

If you’d like to find French-English translation and proofreading tasks, we encourage you to check the TWB Platform, where you can filter tasks according to source and/or target language. We have some video tutorials available to help translators get started: :film_strip:

To access all translation and revision tasks, you’ll need to qualify as a TWB Verified Translator. :star2:
You can learn more about verification here.

We also encourage translators to take our online course, Introduction to Humanitarian Translation, where you will learn about humanitarian translation, the history and work of TWB, and using the TWB Platform. You will receive a certificate of completion once you finish. You can learn more about the course here. :open_book:

Thanks for your interest in TWB and please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It is amazing to meet such a dedicated volunteer, 4 years! In such a rare language combination too.
Thank you Indras for being an encouragement to us all

3 Likes