Training courses

Good afternoon,

I am new to TWB and keen to start helping by providing translations. I am bilingual French/English but have no professional translation qualifications. I have done the 3 courses provided by TWB which were very informative.
I am now looking at some good, and free (or good value for money), translation courses to improve my skills.
Could members of the community recommend some please?
Thank you very much in advance for your help and support.

Sandrine

4 Likes

Hi, Sandrine @781987!

Welcome to the TWB! :partying_face:

You have come to the right place. :wink: Well, let’s begin with the free ones, then we advance to the paid ones.

I recommend CW-ELAB course. It’s really good. The first tests demand a more agile thinking, but the last ones are “normal” in terms of speed.

We can’t forget YouTube videos, right? I recommend Freelanceverse; Freelance Translator Tips; and Localization Academy. Don’t forget Tess Whitty’s marketing tips. Sorry, I know more about Brazilian translators.

If you want more knowledge without paying for the certification, there is a course about project management on Coursera. It will help you see from a Language Service Provider (LSP) perspective.

You can also invest on books. It works more than courses for me. I highly recommend How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator by Corinne McKay.

Now, for the costly ones, I recommend you to have a Plus membership on ProZ, because you can access more than 500 videos about translation and interpreting, and can see the past events.

But if you want to take more affordable ones first, then these are for you:

How to be a Successful Freelance Translator (awesome tips, especially for invoicing).

Master Machine Translation Post Editing & Emerging Jobs.

If you want to translate games, I have more resources for you.

Remember to take courses in your translation specialization. For example, I translate IT materials, so I take courses in this topic.

Happy studying! :books: :computer:

21 Likes

Hello Paulo,

Thank you so much for all the information you have sent me. I really appreciate your quick and detailed reply. It is exactly what I was looking for :+1:t2:

There is no time like the present so I shall start studying this weekend! :books: :pen:

6 Likes

Hey,
I also wanted to thank you for this post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing this many bunch of links. It will really ease my learning. I am multi lingual - English/Hindi/German/Dutch. Once done nourishing my skills I’ll also update my services into my essay writers support. It’s always about learning.

4 Likes