Merging segments

How do I merge two segments together? I can see the option to split a segment, but I want to combine two.

1 Like

Hello Mary, thank you for your interesting question! To make sure I understand correctly: you have two separate segments on the TM and you would like to make them one (for example, because splitting the sentence in the target language makes the translation weird or incorrect). Is this right?

I am not quite sure this is possible, I will need to ask my super tech-savy colleagues @Narges or @Manuel to help me out on this :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello @Mary and thank you for your question. You can find your answer here:

Since Kato is based on MateCat, we are limited to their options. So we can only merge those segments we split ourselves on the project’s link and not the initial segments made by Kato.

5 Likes

Thank you, @Narges. I see that it is only possible to merge segments that were previously manually split using the split tool. This is different from my situation: I wanted to merge two segments that had been segmented initially by Kato’s automated segmentation.

2 Likes

Hi @Mary!

Thanks for reaching out! I’m afraid that if the segmentation was done by Kató, I don’t believe it’s possible to modify it. Just in case, would you mind sharing here a link to the project you are working on? We might as well check :slight_smile:

All my best,
Manuel.

Thanks, @Manuel. I managed to find a way of working round it.

1 Like

Hi Mary,

Sorry to take up this thread 2 years down the line, but did you manage to find a way to merge segments? I had the same problem with a task last week, and at the end I had to keep the original segments even though I was not happy with the flow of the translation, as I could not find a way to do it.

All the best,

Virginia

3 Likes

Hello @Virginia3 :slight_smile:
Let me tag also @Manuel, TWB Quality and Process coordinator, who might have some tips.

2 Likes

Hi team!

How are you? All well over on your end? I hope COVID-19 is relatively under control on that side of the world.

Regarding merging and manipulating segmentation, I’m afraid it’s not possible in this current implementation of Matecat/Kató TM. However, this is a feature that will be available this year, once we make progress on some ongoing initiatives. Stay tuned!
@Virginia3, would you mind letting me know in which project you observed these issues? I’d like to follow up, as it might be the case that we could have prevented the problem with some more pre-production (and thus save you the headache :slight_smile: )

Cheers,
Manuel.

2 Likes

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for getting back to me.The project I was working on was Chunk 0 of CPHA-EiE policy paper 1. There were a couple of instances where I would have liked to join a couple of segments because I felt it would read better in Spanish.

For example, segments 2647341 and 2647342. I would have liked to join them, with a comma after “profesionales” followed by “que apoya”. And I would have also liked to join segments 2647358 and 2647359 to read “La pandemia mundial de la COVID-19 ha afectado a millones de niños y jóvenes prácticamente en todos los países del mundo, y en su punto álgido casi el 90 por ciento de los estudiantes se vieron afectados por el cierre de colegios, universidades y otras instituciones (UNESCO, abril de 2020).”

As you can see, it’s a matter of personal style, and I think my second example illustrates better what I was attempting to do: turn two short sentences, which are typical of English, into a longer sentence as favoured by Spanish.

All the best,

Virginia

1 Like

@Manuel tagging you in case you missed this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha he hasn’t, I flagged this to him yesterday, he will reply, he’s just very very busy this week. Sorry to keep you waiting, people!

3 Likes

Hey there! I just had a look at this (thank you for the patience :slight_smile: )

Yes, Virginia, I absolutely agree. Hopefully, this will be a functionality that we have available in the next few months, as I said :slight_smile:

I’m sorry that I can’t help right now!
Best,
Manuel.

1 Like