INEE - Spanish revision

Channel for INEE’s facilitator and TWB’s reviser to chat during the revision and QA process

@patriciacassoni @laura.tiana the floor is yours, make sure to activate the notifications for this topic to “Watching”

Hi Laura ! I hope you are well. I found some TB translations that I would like your opinion about:

Desarrollo infantil temprano - para INEE habíamos quedado en: desarrollo de la primera infancia (DPI)

Segment 358 - NM de la INEE sale en frances: NM de l’INEE

SRGBV = VEAE = violencia en el ámbito escolar (taken from UNGI which is hosted by UNICEF)

Segment 692 - Maybe change agente by actor for INEE

Segment 769 - Protección infantil by Protección de la niñez y la adolescencia

Segment 1867 - baseline data TB says “fecha de linea de base” - datos básicos
I have put Ámbito 1,2,3… (when referring to the areas of education where the Standards apply) in capital. When it refers to another ámbito no capital. Is this correct or shall I change it?

Thanks a lot for your help !! and have a lovely day ! … Patricia

1 Like

Hi Patricia! All good here, I hope you are well too. I’m sending my comments below. First of all, please note that I don’t have the master file with segments and the first draft, so when you refer to certain segment, I can’t check what are your referring to. If you see mistakes such as INEE in french, “agentes” instead of “actors” and others, feel free to change it, as the correct term is the one shared in the term list.

Desarrollo infantil temprano: I confirm that it is desarrollo de la primera infancia (DPI)

NM de la INEE sale en francés: it should be a mistake. The right mention is NM de la INEE

SRGBV = VEAE no estoy segura del todo. También se utiliza como VRGE (violencia relacionada con el genero en la escuela) o VGBE (violencia de género basada en la escuela) Estoy averiguando con otros recursos de la INEE y te respondo a la mayor brevedad

Segment 692: yes, it should be actor

Segment 769 - Protección infantil by Protección de la niñez y la adolescencia- right

Segment 1867 - baseline data TB says “fecha de linea de base” - datos básicos - sin tener el contexto no lo tengo claro
I have put Ámbito 1,2,3… (when referring to the areas of education where the Standards apply) in capital. When it refers to another ámbito no capital. Is this correct or shall I change it? - Creo que así está bien. Sin tener todo el contexto no puedo confirmar, pero creo que sí

Sorry for mixing Spanish and English, could we communicate in Spanish?

Huge thanks for your work and have a nice day :wink:

Gracias Laura por tu feedback Yo tb veo que escribí en Spanglish !!!

Nos podemos comunicar en español, claro, pero si alguien de la community nos quiere leer … no sé si no será mejor en inglés.

Gracias por tus aclaraciones y esperamos para corregir lo que sea necesario !

Hasta pronto !! :sunny:

Hola de nuevo Patricia!

Vamos a dejar SRGBV (indicando, “por sus siglas en inglés”, en la primera cita) pues las siglas en español no son conocidas y va a generar confusión

Gracias!

@Ambraluna @laura.tiana

Muchas gracias !!

Hello. So, adding to the TB the following, please confirm if I got this right:

• Early childhood development - desarrollo de la primera infancia (DPI)
  • INEE MS - NM de la INEE
  • SRGBV - SRGBV (adding “por sus siglas en inglés” for the first instance)
  • child protection - Protección de la niñez y la adolescencia
  • actor - actor

Regarding this last, @laura.tiana I wanted to flag that “agentes” is indicated in the term list in the tracker that Sarah pointed us out to. We’ll be happy to change it in Phrase, but I would suggest discussing updating it there as well, or add context in case both entries are fine in different contexts.
No worries about speaking in Spanish, whatever is more comfortable for both of you, don’t worry about anyone else :smiling_face:

Cheers,
Ambra Luna

Hi Ambra Luna!

I confirm that the mentioned terms are right. There’s only one minor change:

• child protection - Protección de la niñez

As for “actors”, I confirm that the translation is “actors” and not “agentes”, so we’ll need to update it in all term list. Thanks for flagging!

Cheers,
Laura

Noted, thanks @laura.tiana . Just FYI for both, our terminology officer is preparing the list of terms to upload based on the term list in the tracker and the term lists you shared. There were some typos and other kind of issues, so we’re working with some linguists on cleaning it up and we’ll share it with you for final validation, before uploading it.

Cheers,
Ambra Luna

@laura.tiana @patriciacassoni hello :smiling_face: I’m reaching out because our terminology officer has finalized the list of new terms to be added and before importing them in Phrase we want to run them through you to make sure they are all correct, but in format and content. You can access it here. A brief explanation:

Colour coding:

• Pink highlights in the English mean there are some issues (the term’s meaning is not clear, or the EN term does not fully match all of the target languages). There is a very concerning problem with listing the INEE Minimum Standards, which should be Standards 1 to 19, instead there are half a dozen Standard 1s and 2s, and a few 3s and 4s. Some of their names are incorrect, at least not correct as per the 2024 edition. Also, number 12 is missing from the list.

• Red font in the target languages means the term is suspected to be wrong (not having typos, but conceptually wrong or a literal or incomplete translation); please remove the wrong terms if you agree they are wrong, and replace with the correct one, and add a comment, so we can identify them;

• Green highlights in the target languages are for terms we considered good, added by our terminologist and revisers.

• There is an extra column K for notes or questions from our linguist. Please check them and resolve issues.

Please let me know if you might be able to do this by next Tuesday, or if you have another date in mind.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Ambra Luna

Hi @Ambraluna, thanks for your message!
I’ve requested access as I cannot open the file. Once I have checked the length, I will be able to confirm if Tuesday is a feasible date, or suggest another.

Regarding the pink highlights, mainly concerning the listing of the INEE MS, I’m not quite sure I understand why this is happening. Is it a mistake with the first translation? Is it a mistake in the original version? Does it happen in all languages?

All the best,
Laura

Hi again @Ambraluna, I have now checked the file and see what you mean re. the INEE MS list. As it is a multilingual file, have you also asked Sarah Montgomery? Is the INEE the one that have provided this first term list, or it is CLEAR global? Just to be sure that if we made any change in the EN term list, it is correct for all lang.

@laura.tiana @Ambraluna
Thanks Ambra for your message. So far I cannot access what you are talking about .
You will let me know. I am writing a list of doubts I have which I am going to publish here.
Kind regards to both of you

:

@Ambraluna @laura.tiana

Hola chicas! Hi girls! Ciao belle donne!
Voy a escribir una lista de mis dudas, que son sobretodo, con respecto a cómo la organización prefiere expresar ciertos términos:

• Ámbito - lo he puesto con mayúscula cuando se refiere a uno de los 5 ámbitos de la educación en que se organizan las NM de la INEE

• Figure 1, 2 … se debe traducir por “gráfico” “figura” No tengo acceso al “dibujo o tabla” …No puedo verlo …

• Términos cuya trad tengo dudas: “whole-child” Niño total / completo /integral ?
    “child-friendly” amigable / favorable / acogedor (edicion 2010) para
    la niñez ?
    “coping skills/machanisms” habilidades/mecanismos de afrontamiento (edición 2010) / superación ?
    “asset-based approach” basado en activos/ bienes / recursos ?
    " baseline data" datos de línea de base ? datos de referencia (inee.org)?
    “secondments between organisations” adscripción / traslado entre orgs. ?

• “véase Norma … / Nota de orientación …” Cuando no existe en español, hay que ponerlo en inglés y hacer la traducción del título a español o solo dejarlo en inglés?

“Toolkit” en inee.org sale como “Caja de herramientas” Lo ponemos así o ponemos solo “herramientas”?

ACRONIMOS Me podrías confirmar que estos acrónomos se ponen en español? :
CSO - OSC Organización de la sociedad civil
ESP - PSE Plan sectorial de educación
TEP - PET Plan educativo de transición

Sorry there are so many doubts … Thanks a lot !!!
Kind regards … Pat

Hola chicas!!

Espero que estéis muy bien!

Respondo a continuación:

• Ámbito - sugiero dejarlo en minúscula (salvo cuando sea inicio de frase, obvio), pues así aparece también en la edición anterior
  • Figure 1, 2 … se debe traducir por “gráfico” “figura” No tengo acceso al “dibujo o tabla” …No puedo verlo … Me parece muy bien. Una vez yo tenga la versión traducida ya en word, podré verlo y cambiarlo por dibujo o tabla, si procede.
  • Términos cuya trad tengo dudas: “whole-child” Niño total / completo /integral ? Ummm, no había visto este término antes en las Normas… he estado buscando en otras fuentes y encuentro “el niño en su totalidad”. Por ejemplo, en un documento de UNESCO he visto " 'education of the whole child" traducido como “educación integral del niño”. Pero va a depender del contexto. ¿Cómo te suena?
    “child-friendly” amigable / favorable / acogedor (edicion 2010) para
    la niñez ? normalmente usamos “amigable para la niñez”
    “coping skills/machanisms” habilidades/mecanismos de afrontamiento (edición 2010) / superación ? habilidades/mecanismos de afrontamiento es correcto
    “asset-based approach” basado en activos/ bienes / recursos ? usemos “basado en activos” - en realidad en español no tiene el mismo significado que en inglés, y puede generar dudas. Si el contexto lo requiere, se podría poner “basado en recursos”. Pero inicialmente vamos a usar “basado en activos”
    " baseline data" datos de línea de base ? datos de referencia (inee.org)? sugiero usar “datos de base”
    “secondments between organisations” adscripción / traslado entre orgs. ? yo pondría “intercambios de personal entre organizaciones” Según la UE seria “intercambio internacional”, pero sin conocer el segmento no se si aplica

“Toolkit” en inee.org sale como “Caja de herramientas” Lo ponemos así o ponemos solo “herramientas”? Caja de herramientas está bien

ACRONIMOS
CSO - OSC Organización de la sociedad civil Confirmado
ESP - PSE Plan sectorial de educación Confirmado
TEP - PET Plan educativo de transición Confirmado

Muchas gracias por todo!!

@Ambraluna, I’m working on the red font terms - adding the comment “I have added the right term” and change it into black font. I’m not deleting the green cell as I don’t know if you want to keep it. Still working on it…

As for the pink highlights - not sure how to proceed as it is a multilingual list.

1 Like

@Ambraluna @laura.tiana

Muchas gracias Laura !! Que velocidad para responder !!! Genial.

Estoy en ello. Me gusta “un enfoque integral del niño”. Sin embargo cuando hay que trad whole-child en segmentos que pertenecen a un indice … \“ whole-child\”approach;whole aqui no sé … Si te parece pongo “niño-total: enfoque integral” y si acaso después modificamos

Voy informando de avances.

Ambra: May I start with QA ??

A hug for both :hibiscus:

Hi both,

Apologies for the delay, access was granted to the both of you!

@laura.tiana for the English, I’ve hear from your colleagues and we’ll probably include Sarah, so she can give her input, just focus on the target for now and thank you.

Cheers,
Ambra Luna

@laura.tiana @Ambraluna
Hello girls !! I hope you are well.

I have a question: There is a part where a methodology is refered to and it reads:
The 4Ws/5Ws (who is doing what, where, when, and for whom) are typically used to monitor a response on the cluster or sector level, but agencies should also have their own internal monitoring plans and tools..
The name is 4W / 5W as the words in English start all with W. How do we put it in Spanish ? Cheers !! Pat