Difference between the current TWB Platform and Workspace

Hello,

I joined Translators without Borders recently and I’m very confused. I passed a translation test a while ago and just received an e-mail saying an account was created for me in TWB Workspace. Does this mean I passed the test?

Shortly after being registered on the Workspace platform, I received an e-mail from a PM and accepted a task by e-mail. But where does the task appear? On the Kató platform or Workspace platform? There is absolutely nothing in Workspace, and on Kató I can only see tasks to be claimed.

What is the difference between Kató and Workspace tasks anyway?

Thank you.

5 Likes

Hello Cassandra and thanks a lot for your questions, and for joining TWB! Yes, you passed your test and you are a Verified translator, congratulations :tada:

:exclamation::exclamation: All our projects are now posted on TWB Platform, our main translation environment :exclamation::exclamation:

You can create your TWB Platform account here. It will take only a couple of minutes :clock1: When you register, don’t forget to update your profile by adding your native language and language combinations and sign up to email notifications :email:

We recently merged all the word count information we have in the two platforms, and now the total word count for the work done on both platforms is shown on TWB Platform :medal_sports: The TWB Workspace is used only as a repository for past information only. All of your words produced, including those translated in the Workspace, are visible on your Translator badge in TWB Platform. You can learn more about your Translator badge in this thread in TWB Community .

The two platforms are not integrated with each other. The task will appear depending on where you claimed it. For example, I see that you claimed a task for The Emergency Nutrition Network in the Workspace (you can see it here). The PM for this task is the lovely @Viktorija. Please check our FAQs for the TWB Workspace, I think the first page will help you understand where you can find the link to start translating :slight_smile:

I hope this clarifies the situation, and if you have further questions I will be happy to assist.

8 Likes

I understand, thank you!

I did receive the task this morning, I guess I was just a bit too eager to start!

Thank you again.

3 Likes

Thank you @ambra, it’s a good news

5 Likes

@ambra I would like to briefly enquire if the information you posted in response to Cassandra’s question a year ago is still current? I’m writing a paper on how TWB carries out its translations and must admit, I was also a bit confused which platform is the preferred one these days. Are the tasks distributed evenly between the two platforms? Or does one receive more tasks than the other. I see that the Workspace on Proz is still open to applicants. Is there already a more concrete idea of when the two will merge?

Thanks in advance :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Rosie, while the Workspace still exists, TWB Platform is now the platform we use for all our translation projects. In very rare instances we might have to post a project in the Workspace, but that’s it an absolute exception.

May I ask how come you are writing a paper about TWB and what is that for? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the speedy reply!

The paper is actually my master’s thesis. I study Translation Studies and language services for aid organisations is something I’ve been interested in for a few years, so that’s why I went it this direction. It will look at what approaches TWB takes concerning their translation services and the different factors influencing this, their in the field stuff, translation policies. I will be doing the same for the ICRC too. It’s really interesting and I’m using a lot of TWB’s articles as secondary sources. A real plethora of info!

6 Likes

Just one more question :slightly_smiling_face: Do the screening tests still take place on the Proz Workspace? Or can they take place on Kato too? Apologies if there’s an easy and obvious answer somewhere.

1 Like

Hi Rosie, you can find some more info about our vetting system here:

Do let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! :star2:
For those of you who were wondering about the TWB Workspace and TWB Platform:

:exclamation::exclamation: All our projects are now posted on TWB Platform, our main translation environment :exclamation::exclamation:

You can create your TWB Platform account here. It will take only a couple of minutes :clock1: When you register, don’t forget to update your profile by adding your native language and language combinations and sign up to email notifications :email:

We recently merged all the word count information we have in the two platforms, and now the total word count for the work done on both platforms is shown on TWB Platform :medal_sports: The TWB Workspace is used only as a repository for past information only. All of your words produced, including those translated in the Workspace, are visible on your Translator badge in TWB Platform. You can learn more about your Translator badge in this thread in TWB Community.

8 Likes

Thank you ambra. I will message you if I can’t find the answer to any queries I have, or post it here if it may be helpful for others.

3 Likes

At last a thoroughly clarifying explanation. Thanks Carol!

2 Likes

@sifatnoor I’m glad to hear it was helpful. We precisely wanted to clear up any doubts about it :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi there!
I have just received an email confirming I am a Kató Verified Translator and now have access to the TWB Workspace. But I have a question: I have already done a translation job through the Kató Platform, before I was verified, so what is the difference between TWB Kató and TWB Workspace?

2 Likes

Hey @carolinajusta I hope you’re doing well and safe. Anyways; Difference between tasks on the current TWB Platform and the TWB Workspace? I’m in hopes of this will be helpful and comprehensible :slightly_smiling_face:
Have A Lovely Day :heartbeat:

6 Likes

@carolinajusta Hi, Good luck! :+1:

3 Likes

Hi @carolinajusta thanks for your message! I’ve just moved it to a thread I think you might find useful :wink: Let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes