How to get translation tasks

Hi there,
I’m Jess, I’m new here and I really want to get translating but I cant find how to get any projects. I dont know if maybe there just aren’t any for my language combination (Spanish-English) or whether I’m missing something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jess

3 Likes

Hi @Jessica3 :blush: and welcome to the TWB Community!
Our platforms can seem quite confusing at first. Please take a look at this video tutorial and these FAQs to learn more about how to find and claim a task. I also suggest that you take a test to become a TWB Verified Translator. Verified Translators have access to all Translation tasks and Revision tasks :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @_carolina , thanks for getting back to me. I will watch the video. I have already taken the test to become a Kato Verified Translator but i haven’t heard anything back ?

1 Like

Hello @Jessica3 :slight_smile:
Please bear in mind that it can take up to 3/4 weeks for tests to be reviewed. We’ll get back to you with the results as soon as possible.
In the meantime if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

thanks @_carolina ! One more question for the time being, i have completed the intro to humanitarian course, are there any others that are available to me ?

1 Like

Hi @_carolina, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in on this thread. I have been a Verified translator for a while now however when I first log in, a message pops up and tells me there are no tasks available in my language combinations. It also gives my options for ‘Source language’ as as Arabic, English, French and Portuguese yet I speak French, Spanish and English. When I click on the home button it doesn’t give me the option of seeing any other tasks where as a few weeks ago I used to be able to see all of the tasks and then I could just filter the tasks by language combinations using the drop down boxes (source language and target language) at the top of the page. From what I can now see it looks like I don’t have the option to find any Spanish tasks. I know an update was done a few weeks ago so I am not sure if that has anything to do with this. Please could you advise me if there is something else I should be doing?
Thanks very much
Suzanne Skirrow

1 Like

@Suzanne i have the same problem

1 Like

@Jessica3 I thought it was just me, I can be technologically challenged sometimes. :slight_smile:

@Suzanne I’m glad its not just me ! Do we have any ideas why this is happening ? have you managed to do any projects yet ?

No I don’t know, I have volunteered for TWB for a few years and this is the first time it has happened to me.

Hello @Suzanne and @Jessica3 :blush:
Thank you for your question, I sometimes doubt my tech-savviness as well but this time it’s about Kató Platform settings :wink:
You’ve raised a great point. We did change the Kató Platform homepage recently to show only available tasks for the language pairs listed in your profile. This way, you don’t have to wade through tasks that do not apply to you :slight_smile:
If you can’t find any Spanish tasks in the drop down list it simply means that there are currently no tasks available in that language combination. I suggest that you turn your email notifications on so you can receive an email every time a task in your language pairs becomes available :tada:
I hope this makes sense, please let me know if you have any questions!

Hi @_carolina :blush:
I’m also waiting for the results, just as @Jessica3. How will they be announced to us? Via email? :blush: I can’t wait to start contributing! Thank you in advance for your assistance :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ciao @michelap :hugs:
As I mentioned, it usually takes 3/4 weeks. If by then you haven’t received an email from us, please feel free to post in this thread and ask about your test.
In the meantime you can still claim tasks which are not restricted to Kató Verified Translators only :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: please let me know if there’s anything else I can help out with!

1 Like

Thanks @_carolina :slight_smile: That all makes sense. I have my email alerts turned on but I haven’t received any for a while so I was just double checking that there was nothing available and I wasn’t missing out on anything. :slight_smile:
Have a good day.
Suzanne

Thank you so much, you’re very kind :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m glad I could help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: New projects are uploaded every day, so hopefully you’ll find some interesting tasks soon!

1 Like

I got an email today with a whole pile of ES-en tasks. So hopefully you guys got an email or managed to pick a task up? The ES-en jobs can be few and far between and there can be a scrabble for them when they arrive. We are all just so keen (but lovely :blush:)

1 Like

What a lovely surprise for our lovely (and keen) translators :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I hope you all managed to claim at least one ES>EN task :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

hi @_carolina a task came up with my language combination and I clicked on Claim Task, and downloaded the file then clicked that I promised to translate the document. However, then it came up saying that someone else had claimed it , does this mean I am no longer needed to translate it ? I don’t want to get it wrong and then miss the deadline… bit confused !

Hello @Jessica3 :slight_smile:
I have just checked your Claimed tasks and I’m afraid that another translator claimed the task. It must have been a matter of seconds :frowning: The task will be translated by someone one else. I hope you can find plenty of interesting tasks you can work on :star2:
Let me know if there’s anything else I can help out with!