Be Aware of Scamming

:rotating_light: Scammers know that many people like you are eager to help during these challenging times. We noticed an increased number of phishing emails. You may have received strange emails asking for donations, direct payments or other requests.

:exclamation: Please always keep in mind that we would never ask for direct payments or donations via email - you will always have the option to do it via a secure webpage, such as our donations page.

:envelope_with_arrow: The emails you may receive from TWB always have a specific signature and format:

:triangular_flag_on_post: If you receive a suspicious email from TWB, please make sure not to open the links included or download the files attached for your security. To check the email’s validity, contact translators@translatorswithoutborders.org

11 Likes

Has TWB’s identity been stolen to scam people or what? Sorry to learn that if true

1 Like

No, but a number of emails were sent to volunteers from email addresses that do not belong to TWB, and these emails included asking for direct payments and other unusual requests. So we are informing our volunteers to be aware of this scamming.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a bit off topic, but a little more information about translation scams: Translator scam alert reports - ProZ.com Wiki

It’s important to see real examples. The big red flag is the email. You have to read all letters. Someone could make a email like translators@translatoswithoutborders.com and you will not know that it misses the second letter “r” in “translators” and the “org” at the end of it.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @PauloRibeiro! I’m sure this will also be important for more carefulness about any potential types of scamming :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, @Aya.Alrifai. I will leave a series of videos here to make this situation less stressful. Sometimes I see people taking life too seriously. There are people who need help, especially, people making bad choices in life. Well, occasionally, they won’t learn in this life, but we can always focus on who learns, right? The videos show a man who plays with scammers. It is a must-watch series.

I highly recommend the Snail Farm video.

If someone wants to learn more about scamming, there is a book called “Scam Me If You Can: Simple Strategies to Outsmart Todays Ripoff Artists”, by Frank W. Abagnale.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing these, Paulo! The video series is indeed useful and enjoyable at the same time :smiley: :+1: :100:

1 Like