An Interview with TWB Translators: Translating with empathy improves wellbeing

I always put myself in the shoes of the person(s) for whom I am translating.

@mak, translator for Translators without Borders (TWB)
:sunny: Read the full blog post here!

Translators improve lives by translating potentially lifesaving information into ‘marginalized’ languages spoken by vulnerable individuals. In Bangladesh, almost a million people are currently living in the largest makeshift refugee camp in the world. There, nonprofit organizations need to provide critical information quickly, that needs to be translated into a language accessible for Rohingya refugees, and in many cases, into the language of local volunteers and field workers. Enter Mahay Alam Khan, or Mak, one of our most skilled and committed Bangla translators, who brings twelve years of translation experience to TWB. In the past year, he has worked on over fifty tasks and translated over 40,000 words. :bowing_man:

Mak has been known to go the extra mile to support TWB in our mission. He has spent nights working on urgent translations, journeyed to internet cafes, borrowed computers when necessary, and even worked on translating documents while changing houses in downtown Dhaka.

me-with-Einestien

Mak explains that translating with TWB has changed his perspective. The experience has opened a window through which he can look into the horrific conditions experienced by refugees and especially children.

I knew a bit about the suffering and agony they endure in this world, but I never knew language barriers could be a reason why people become vulnerable

Working with TWB has influenced Mak’s whole approach – it has made him more expressive and more cognizant of the importance of his translation work. Before starting a translation, Mak says it’s important to visualize the people for whom he is ultimately translating. He closes his eyes and imagines he is standing in a queue waiting for food or medicine. The language barrier between support workers and refugees makes it hard to distribute food, or even to ensure understanding of instructions for taking life-saving medicines. :star2:

Read the full blog post here! :books:

14 Likes

good work brother:+1:

1 Like

Wonderful work and a very interesting perspective to share. Thanks

2 Likes

Thank you both @Seyed_Sina and @ValerieT, we’re happy that you enjoyed the article!

2 Likes

I mean, what’s not to like. your organization almost always hook me with nice contents. I wish I had joined you guys sooner. But hey, it’s not to late either

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your interesting perspective!

1 Like

Great TWB story, @ambra and great work, @mak

3 Likes

Thanks Cristina. We are very grateful to Mak and to all the amazing translators like you that support our cause! You are our true inspiration :heartbeat:

3 Likes