An Interview with a TWB Translator: Nan and Futu, sharing climate solutions in more languages

Earlier this month, the World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development came together to discuss sustainable development challenges and to launch the Education for Sustainable Development for 2030 framework, emphasising that sustainable development must include people from all over the globe, whatever language they speak!

So, this month we are celebrating the efforts of translators who are informing their communities about the effects of climate change, and bringing more voices into the conversation :earth_africa: :speaking_head:

We interviewed two translators whose work is raising awareness of climate change. Nan and Futu are improving lives in their communities in Myanmar, Bangladesh, and beyond.

Translators play an important role in sharing information about climate change to help people understand the effect and what actions they can take :open_book: :writing_hand:

Key information in the right language can also help people prepare for, respond to, and recover from natural disasters.

“I’m very concerned about the climate change in Myanmar. I wish we could build community-based initiatives to educate people about the effects of using plastic and burning waste and plastic in the neighborhood.” - Nan, Myanmar translator

Nan and Futu worked on the Nature Now project in late 2019. It’s a video featuring climate activist Greta Thunberg and writer and climate activist George Monbiot. They explain that there is a natural solution to the climate breakdown: protecting forests. And they urge us to take simple actions which can have a great impact on our planet :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

In this incredibly exciting project for the TWB community, we translated and revised the video into 33 languages :play_or_pause_button: You can watch them here.

“It’s rare to see something like the Nature Now climate solutions film in the Rohingya language. It makes me feel as if I am campaigning to save the world from disasters when I work on these projects. It will be very good for the Rohingya community to benefit from more projects such as this in the future.” - Futu, Rohingya translator, Bangladesh.

To find out more about the experiences of Nan and Futu, you can read the full blog post here :star2:

Do you have a passion for supporting communities around the globe? By sharing your language skills, you can involve more people in vital conversations about climate change and more. Invite your friends and networks to join the TWB community.

Share this link to sign up: http://translatorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/translators :heart_decoration:

7 Likes

I’m so happy to see fellow TWB translators being featured. :smiley: Congratulations Nan and Futu! :partying_face: :tada: I really enjoyed reading about your dedication to translating projects meant to address climate change - a pressing issue, so often overlooked. :slight_smile: :heart: :earth_africa: Great interview! :star2:

5 Likes