The Translator's Toolkit

:toolbox: This toolkit contains useful information and instructions on how to use the TWB Platform (our translation environment), Phrase TMS (our current translation tool), and TWB Community (this forum).

:wave: New to TWB? Find out about our platforms and how to register with us!

What youā€™ll find in this toolkit:
Quick links
The Translation Process at TWB
Phrase TMS: our new translation tool starting from May 2021
Introduction to Humanitarian Translation for the TWB Community: our online course
Become a TWB Verified Translator
At TWB we recognize our translators
Want to share your TWB translation?
Code of Conduct
Contact us

:fast_forward: Here are some quick links:
How to find and claim tasks
How to use Phrase TMS
How to submit a task in Phrase TMS
How to unclaim a task
Ask a question about a task
Quality at TWB
FAQs

:keyboard: The Translation Process at TWB
Read the above thread to find out about the translation process at TWB.

:rocket: Now live: a new translation tool for you! Take a look at our Phrase TMS category to learn the basics of the new translation tool that TWB has started using in May 2021! Hereā€™s what you can do now:

1. Watch a 30-minute training webinar :arrow_right: here :arrow_left: :clapper: You will learn all you need to know about claiming and completing TWB tasks with this new tool. :woman_technologist: :man_technologist:
  2. Learn why TWB has integrated a new translation tool here :thinking: :grey_question:
  3. Learn how to work in Phrase TMS here :nerd_face::books:

:scroll: Our online course: Introduction to Humanitarian Translation for the TWB Community
Take our 2021 course that covers the basics of humanitarian translation, our mission at TWB and CLEAR Global, how you can get involved, and how to use our TWB platform and translation tool. The course takes about two hours.
At the end of the course, you can take a test and receive a certificate. :mortar_board:
To take the course and find out more, please visit this thread.

:trophy: At TWB we recognize our translators
At TWB we believe it is important to recognize the work our translators do. As part of our Community Recognition Program, translators can receive rewards when they reach word count thresholds.

To find out about the types of recognition we offer and how to receive them, please visit this thread and read our FAQs.

Read about some of TWBā€™s incredible translators in our Featured Translators category.

:lock: Want to share your TWB translation?
Read this thread to find out if and how you can share translations you completed with TWB.

:bookmark: Code of Conduct
When translators register to work with TWB, they agree to the Translator Code of Conduct and commit to deliver the highest standard of professional translations. ā€‹Please read it to know your obligations as a translator.

:mag: Canā€™t find what youā€™re looking for? Have a look at our TWB FAQs section.

:email: Contact us at translators@translatorswithoutborders.org if you need assistance.

Your support makes vital information available to people in a language they can understand. Thank you for choosing Translators without Borders.

76 Likes

Thank you so much to give this opportunity.

7 Likes

Hi @giovannapuntorieri14 welcome to the community! :star2:
Thank YOU for joining us, itā€™s great to have you here!
Let us know if you have any questions :hibiscus:

13 Likes

I wanna to ask, should I translate chunk 0 and chunk 1
Or just one of them ?

5 Likes

Hi @raniaflaifl - welcome to TWB Community! Iā€™ve just replied to your email about chunks :slight_smile: You can choose the the tasks you want to work on, but remember youā€™ll need to claim the task first to be able to work on it :wink: You can find instructions on how to claim tasks in the Toolkit above :toolbox: :arrow_up:

6 Likes

When I open chunk 0 thereā€™s a note which is ( tha task has been claimed) and the same when I open chunk 1 .

But Iā€™m sure I didnā€™t claim any one of them, what should I do now

Thank you so much for your helping

7 Likes

@raniaflaifl I see! This message means the task has been claimed by another translator. You can have a look on our homepage to see if there are any other tasks available to you :blush:

6 Likes

Thank you for collecting all the links to the various topics explaining how the platform works here! It has been a really helpful read :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi @marcellaviale, welcome to the community! :sunny:

Iā€™m happy to hear that you found the Toolkit useful! :heart_eyes:

Thanks for joining us, Marcella :smiley: Do reach out if you have any questions :hibiscus:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve recently learnt about this website and it is very interesting. I am an advanced English translation student looking for some experience in the field before graduating. Thank you for this opportunity!

3 Likes

Hi @magalibbrochero :wave: Welcome to the TWB community :star_struck:

I hope you find the Translatorā€™s Toolkit useful :toolbox:

3 Likes

Hello!
First, hello to everyone :slight_smile:
I am completely new and I am wondering if it is worth to download and learn how to use the ā€œTranslator toolkitā€ that the page provides with, as a new one is going to be implemented soonā€¦ Are they very similar and it is just a small update? Or it is really going to be such a big change that I rather wait for the new one??

Thanks in advance!

8 Likes

Hi @AlvaroMalta,
thank you for reaching out! I moved your message to this existing thread.
I had a look again at the start of this thread and you can certainly check some of the subjects included in the toolkit such as:
What are chunks?
Revision tasks
Ask a question about a task
Quality at TWB

Have a great evening/night!
:boom:

6 Likes

Hi @AlvaroMalta :wave:

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to TWB :star_struck:

You are more than welcome to look through the Translatorā€™s Toolkit to familiarise yourself with TWB if you wish to do any translation tasks before the transition to Memsource!

The Memsource section of the forum also has useful information for when we move to Memsource in May 2021.

Thank you @faretto5 for your help answering this too :sunflower:

6 Likes

Thank you, charlotte,

but my question was more particularly about the new tool, as it doesnĀ“t say anything about it and wouldnĀ“t like ā€œwastingā€ time checking about a tool which is going to be forgotten in a week or so, precisely not to have to read all the info.
Have you used the old tool? Do you see or understand that there will be some big changes?
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi @AlvaroMalta :wave:

The new tool, Memsource, will be in use from May 2021 and you can find the thread here :arrow_forward: Phrase TMS - TWB Community Forum.

There are a few differences! So, you can wait until next month before working on any tasks so you donā€™t have to learn about two different tools if you prefer, Ɓlvaro :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you!
If there are only small differences, then I probably will start the sooner the better :wink:

4 Likes

Hi all,

Iā€™m new to TWB and would love your help.

Iā€™ve set up my account and canā€™t seem to find any tasks to translate from English to French or from French to English. Iā€™ve looked on the home page and the page does not seem to update from the blankness when I change the source language or the target language. Is something bugging?

I also read something on another post about a translator test. Is this something that I need to do before I start translating? If so, how do I access it?

Many thanks!

Max

4 Likes