TWB Milestone: IASC six core PSEA principles translated into over 80 languages!

Translators without Borders (TWB) is playing an active role in preventing sexual exploitation and abuse in the aid sector. TWB has worked with the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) Task Team on Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) to simplify the language of the six PSEA principles and translate them into a multitude of languages – so that aid workers and people caught up in emergencies will know the rules that humanitarians must comply with.

In March 2018, TWB and the IASC AAP and PSEA Task Team announced the publication of 50 language versions of the simplified core principles relating to sexual exploitation and abuse, and we have now reached more than 80 published language versions. Some language versions even include audio formats to help understanding. The 87 languages covered so far range from Afar to Yoruba, and are spoken on every continent. :world_map:

IMG_6606%20(1)
The translation in Kanuri – one of the main languages of northeast Nigeria – was the 50th language translated, representing the halfway mark in disseminating the principles in 100 languages of aid workers and affected people.

:heart: We send a heartfelt thank you to all those who have worked with us on this project and made it possible: to the 100 translators and revisers who worked to reach the 50-language milestone, to the team at iDisc for the translations into several Latin American languages, to the organizations which have supported the validation process to date, and to those who are already disseminating the language versions widely. :bouquet:

:star2: We are almost there! Help us get to 100 language versions. We are still looking for organizations and individuals to help us translate or validate the following language versions:

Acholi, Bambara, Berber, Chadian Arabic, Chin, Hasanya Arabic, Hazaragi, Hema, Karamajong, Karen, Kiche, Kishona, Kituba, Lendu, Luo, Luhya, Maasina Fulfulde, Mandinka, Marghi, Mende, Mon, Nande, Ndebele, Pashayi, Shan, Soninke, Songhai, Sundanese, Tamasheq, Temne, Tshiluba, Turkana, and Wolof

5 Likes

Great project!
I am very glad to have helped on this project.

Happy translating

2 Likes

#languagematters #togetherwecan :muscle::muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

Glad I can help TWB on this project!!!

2 Likes

Thank you all, @luubuuphuongvl12, @Sarah and @DIALLO! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello,

I can handle English or French to Fufulde translation tasks if available,

Feel free to contact me,

1 Like

Congratulations! We trust the remaining 50 will be finished soon. Here in Canada we work with some Tigrinya speakers. It would be great to be able to give it to them. Haven’t found anyone who can actually do the translation though.
Linda

2 Likes