The Power of Words - what words impact your life?

The Power of Words, our summer fundraising campaign, has just started, and we would love you to get involved. :heartbeat:

Our campaign focuses on specific words that can make the difference between understanding and confusion, between dependence and autonomy, or between fear and safety. Thank you for the time and skills you already dedicate to make sure more people have the words they need to live full and healthy lives! :star2:

As a member of our community, you probably already know that:

• Words like ndui (vaccine) help people in DRC protect themselves against Ebola.
  • Words like তুওয়ান (cyclone) help Rohingya people in Bangladesh prepare for extreme weather.
  • Words like الأمن (security) help speakers of Levantine Arabic communicate with humanitarian responders.

:sunny: Here’s how you can join our campaign to help more people give the Power of Words:

• Share your story here! Tell us which words, in your own language or another, have had an impact on your own lives.
  • Donate what you can – Any amount you can donate can make a difference.
  • Accept a new project in our translation platforms and help people communicate and get the information in a language they understand. Their own.
  • Spread the word about our campaign! Share it on social media to help us reach our fundraising goal, or start your own fundraiser on Facebook, and share it with your circles.
7 Likes

The word that impact me in Kanuri language is " Nabtә Nәlewaye" which means Peace in English. I choose this word because my community have suffered devastation as a result of lack peace because of the Boko Haram insurgency in North East Nigeria.

6 Likes

That’s beautiful thank you for sharing with us Abubakar!

For me, there are a few times words have had an impact.

Words like ‘lost’ in German have helped me find my way home. The word ‘lock’ and ‘sick’ helped me out of tight spots when living in Spain.

3 Likes

On my life and the lives of Azerbaijani community members I live with in Marneuli Municipality, Georgia impacted a word “azadlıq” (in Azeri) which translated in English stands for “freedom”. In various collocations as “vicdan azadlığı”, “söz azadlığı” and “seçim azadlığı” (freedom of conscience, freedom of speech, freedom of choice - English translations of above bracketed word in a queue) it can imply slightly difference connotations, yet with a pretty strong message in each of the phases and connected to the core word “azadlıq”.

3 Likes

Hi @Magamed :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing your story with us. “azadlıq” - such a powerful word!

2 Likes

The word which impacts me in Portuguese is ‘empatia’ (empathy in English).
I think we are living in a very tense and serious moment in global terms and in a world where technology is so present, where people spend hours in front of a computer or holding their iPhones/ smartphones, we need to look at those around us, have empathy for their own fights and respect each story, each human being, wearing masks, not shaking hands and spreading real and useful information, and positive words!

3 Likes

Hi, Caroline,

Thank you for mentioning this word. You are absolutely right. This is the turning moment in history of mindkind and maybe the Universe too, when we tend to socialize through social platforms, distance for or own security and public health, but at the same time (to some extend) we forget to open-up, socialize in flesh and be more thankful.

Brava!

Magamed

4 Likes