New Volunteering Opportunity with Oppia for EN > AR, BN, PRS, HI, FR, PT, SP, SW, TA, TE, UR Translators!

:question: Volunteering Opportunity
:spiral_notepad: Remote, Flexible Time Commitment
:mag_right: Translation from English to Arabic, Bangla, Dari, Hindi, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili, Tamil, Telugu, or Urdu
:busts_in_silhouette: Oppia / translation-coordinators@oppia.org.

This project is not in partnership with TWB. We are just helping spread the word!

If you’re fluent in spoken and written Arabic, Bangla, Dari, Hindi, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili, Tamil, Telugu, or Urdu and passionate about eradicating education inequality, keep reading! Oppia is looking for someone to join our translation team to translate our online lessons from English to these languages.

Audio and text translations are a critical way that helps low literacy learners around the world to still engage with Oppia’s text-based and low-bandwidth lessons. Oppia relies on contributions from audio translators (rather than just voice to text generated audio) to keep the stories engaging and fun. Although the above mentioned languages for the lessons are prioritized, Oppia is happy to work with anyone to translate the lessons into any language they’re familiar with.

How to sign up: By using this form - Volunteer interest form for Oppia

About Oppia
The Oppia Foundation is a nonprofit with the mission to provide high quality education to all. This is done through the creation and maintenance of the platform, Oppia (http://www.oppia.org), the coordination of passionate contributors, and the development of critical partnerships with NGOs in the communities that Oppia aims to serve.

About This Cause
Even before COVID-19, students around the world were facing difficulties accessing quality education due to conflict, discrimination, lack of teacher training, and more. However, with COVID-19 forcing everyone to stay quarantined in their own homes, students now more than ever need access to free, quality education to ensure that they can continue to learn even if they cannot attend school. 1 of 5 children today cannot attend school, and 60% of children globally are not meeting minimum proficiency levels in mathematics and literacy. The Oppia Foundation aims to solve these problems by vastly expanding access to quality education through the creation and use of our online, personalized learning platform, Oppia.

With an open-sourced software, Oppia creates engaging and effective lessons for topics in basic education that are equipped with features like audio subtitles and localized translations to specifically address the needs of low-socioeconomic learners around the world. Throughout each story-based lesson, students learn about concepts in contexts that they are familiar with, while also receiving targeted feedback to help them overcome their personal challenges or misconceptions.

What Oppia’s Translation Team contributes

• Adding written translations of lessons to other languages.
  • Adding audio dubbing of lessons in other languages, to help students whose reading skills are weaker.
  • Advising on any barriers that students from different cultures might encounter when understanding and relating to the stories we have written to motivate the lessons.

:interrobang: If you’d like to know more about this opportunity, get in touch with translation-coordinators@oppia.org.

15 Likes

Thank you @Aya.Alrifai for the message
Would like to contribute in that project

1 Like

Hello @musevenifreddy001

You’re absolutely welcome! This opportunity is open for all the volunteers who can work on these languages, so yes, go for it!

Please let us know if you have any questions :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks Dear@Aya.Alrifai
I send a message to them, unfortunately they did not Reply to me
Would like to request an assistance from you, if there is any other way you can contact them on my behalf
I want to contribute in Swahili ,and French.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest in participating in the project @musevenifreddy001 :blush: As you can see, there are many languages required for this project. Therefore, it may take the organization some time to reply to the volunteers’ emails and inquiries. You can sign up using the form included above, and wait until you get the response. If it takes so long, you can reach out to us again to follow up with your request. :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you once again for your assistance.

1 Like

I can translate from English to Arabic, I’m an English major, also Arabic is my native language, I speak Russian too , hope you will reply to my message ,so I will start my work

1 Like

Hey@Smralaloul
Hope you are doing well,
You can send a message to the E-mail provided above
They will reply to you.,
For more information@ Aye will respond to you later.

4 Likes

Hello @smralaloul and thanks for your interest in this opportunity :cherry_blossom:

I can see that you’re qualified for it! :partying_face: Kindly sign up by using the form. If you’d like to know more information, you can visit Oppia’s website or send an email to their email address. All the relevant links are included above :point_up_2:

Wish you the best of luck! :dizzy:

1 Like

Thanks alot , have a wonderful day

2 Likes

Thanks alot , I will do all the best, have a wonderful day

1 Like

Is it necessary to be a first-language speaker in the language you would like to write in or is advanced knowledge enough?

2 Likes

Hi @MaraW and welcome to TWB! :star2: and this is a good question indeed :smiley:

We always encourage our translators to translate to their native language, because this could help to provide a consistent target text that well serves the readers :+1:

However, some of our translators do work on different languages combinations for being verified in them. You can find more information on how to become verified in this thread :arrow_backward:

Have a great day :sunny:

Olá… Eu gostaria de contribuir nesse projeto. Tradução EN-PT(BR)
Eliana Pavan

1 Like

Hello @eliana287 :sunflower:

Thank you for your interest in this opportunity :star2: Please refer to the volunteer interest form for Oppia to sign up :white_check_mark:

If you have any questions, you can reach out via email translation-coordinators@oppia.org :email:

Hope you find the chance to work on this project with Oppia :smiley:

In the options stated in the form there is no French and Swahili

1 Like

Hi @Mary3 and thank you for letting us know about that :sunflower:

Maybe the project have been already done in these two languages :thinking: You can contact Oppia via the email mentioned above, and ask whether this opportunity is still available in these languages :smiley:

Best of luck :dizzy:

Hi @Aya.Alrifai, :raising_hand_woman:

Hope you are doing well!

I would like to follow up on my volunteer application as a translator with Oppia, since I had sent it about 10 days ago and I didn’t get any feedback or reply yet!
I send an email 3 days ago, via the “email” you kindly mentioned above, and I didn’t get any reply yet! So is there any other way to contact them?

Update: I have just received feedback from Oppia.

Thanks in advance! :dizzy: :star:

Best regards. Lilav.

1 Like

Greetings ma’am @Aya.Alrifai! I just discovered this opportunity. Is it still available for me to register and apply? Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi dear @Lilav_Alarashi :sunflower:

I’m happy for you! We actually had no more information about the availability of this opportunity, because it’s not in partnership with TWB, but it looks like that applying for it is still possible :smiley:

However, we do encourage everyone who is interested in this opportunity to apply for it and reach out via the email above :email: :arrow_double_up: even if we expect not to receive replies soon, we may know that it could be due to the loads of emails Oppia is receiving, but it’s worth trying! :star_struck:

This is also to thank you dear @agathadeborja for your interest in taking part of it :orange_heart: I invite you to apply for the opportunity that may be still available :innocent:

Wish you the best of luck, Agatha and Lilav :star2:

2 Likes