Kató TM: Do's and Don'ts

Dear translators, here is some advice for Kató TM users:

Do’s
• Please use Chrome browser.
• Please check-out this Kató translator introduction
• To avoid tag mismatch copy the source to target using >, then edit the target segment. You can move text as per target syntax but be careful to copy the starting and ending tags along with the text.

• After completing any segment remember to click on Translated and Approved (in case of proofreading). Otherwise the translation/review Progress bar will not get updated.

• Before marking the task Complete on the Job page please make sure the Kato TM progress bar shows 100%.

• To maintain consistency within a file, select ‘Propagate to All’ when suggested. This is only for Identical Segments.

• When translation is complete check if there is any error displayed on the Top tool bar. Click on it, and it will take you to the segment where there is any Tag or Translation conflict. Fix the tag error and check if conflict needs to be resolved. To see how to fix tag mismatch errors, please check out this video: https://youtu.be/HKKDwrK0nxc

• Even after Translating/Revising all segments, if the progress bar is still not showing 100%, check if any segment has not been confirmed. If the segment is not confirmed, it will show a diagonally striped line like below. Confirm those segments by clicking on ‘Translated/Approved’.

• While translating if you need to leave any comment regarding why you used a term, or if you want to leave a comment for the reviewer, please use the comment feature.
Type your comment and click on ‘COMMENT’.

Don’t
• Fuzzy matches or TM-suggested translations are offered for guidance only. Don’t use them without reviewing and also editing if required.
• If you are not sure about the context or meaning of any segment, do not use literal translation. Instead raise a question on Job page or refer to the source document attached to the job page.
• Do not manually type the tags, instead use the feature (Shift+<).
While leaving comments, please be courteous and refrain from using unprofessional, taunting, abusive or derogatory remarks.

9 Likes

Thanks for the explanations, they were very useful.

One of the main reasons I like working with MT is the glossary function. When working alone in Trados, I always add new terms to my glossary as I go along. After all, the whole point is to have all the vocabulary I need in one convenient spot.

However, when working on large files on the Kató platform, I tend to use the function “add term to glossary”, to keep consistency and save time. However, many projects have hardly any glossaries, and I seem to be the only one using them.

So, my questions are:

• Should I not be using the glossary in this fashion?
  • Do I need to ask permission to add terms to glossaries?
  • To help with consistency, would it be good to encourage others to also use the glossary function?

I hope this hasn’t been asked before, if so, a link to said discussion would be appreciated!

Hi Stephanie!

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you! How are you today?

Yes, adding glossary terms is certainly super important. We always encourage our volunteers to add entries, but what we always ask them is to provide references in the comment section of the tool—a link to an official publication, to the UTERM glossary, to official dictionaries, etc.

For large projects, when time allows, we always try to create glossaries to work on them. Something that you can also do is keep track of all terminology you spot during the translation process, and share it in an Excel spreadsheet at the end. In column A you can include the source item, in B the target version, and in column C the reference material. The Project Officer for the project can then upload the glossary to the online translation tool.

If you have any more questions in this regard, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at manuel@translatorswithoutborders.org and I’ll be happy to follow up :smile:

All the best,
Manuel.

2 Likes

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I shall try and do that from now on. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Stephanie

1 Like

Hi!
Is it allowed to copy the segments into an external CAT tool and then copy the translation into the Kató TM?
Thanks.

Hi Mina, yes I think you can do that! @Manuel any comments on this?

Hi there! Unfortunately, there is no way to import automatically translated segments into the tool, which means you’ll need to copy-paste the translation for each segment. So, technically, yes, you can download the xliff and translate it in another CAT tool. However, you’ll then have a lot of manual work :confused:.

Furthermore, this means that you won’t have access to the TMs and, most importantly, the glossary for the project. Entries for these two resources are automática offered by the platform on each segment.

Any specific reason why you are hesitant about working with Kato TM? I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

1 Like

Hi Manuel! I’m sorry, it’s my first time using this tool and it’s very confusing to me!
First, the reason I wanted to use an external CAT tool of mine, is that it has a useful MT that sometimes I can make good use of and it supports me in translating quicker. The Kató TM however, when I was using it to translate only a couple of segments that I started with last night, its “Translation Matches” tab didn’t give me any entries yesterday for some segments, the very same segments that now have entries in that tab; it even gave an entry to one of the segments pasting it directly into the engine of the target language (where I type my translation), while below, it gave me this: “No match found for this segment”! It’s very confusing, I don’t understand; if there are no matches, then where did that suggested entry come from? (I can paste a specific screenshot from the project I’m working on, but I’m not sure if it’s allowed).

Secondly, I’ve only translated a few segments so far, and checked several others, and there aren’t any glossary entries. In fact, I thought that option is made for me, as a translator, to enter glossary entries to help me with the rest of segments in case of repeated terms, and that’s what I did. But it’s okay, if I misunderstood, I will remove them.

I’m sorry if I made this look confusing, but I’m confused too. I might be doing something wrong somewhere, on which I’d like some light shed, because I’m not a developer after all. :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, Mina! Thanks for taking the time to update me on that :slight_smile:

Regarding your first point, projects in TWB may or may not have the MT engine active, depending on the requirements of the request itself. It might be the case that in this specific task you claimed, machine translation has been deactivated. I know that a new tool can take some getting used to (they are all the same, but they aren’t, are they? :smile:). The platform is easy to use, and there’s a whole section of the forum dedicated to it. Here are the main topics I’d advice you to check:

Using the Kató TM translation interface

Finding the next segment to translate on Kató TM

How to tell if your translation/revision is complete on Kató TM

Handling tags and untranslatable segments on Kató TM

Kató TM: Do’s and Don’ts (this very topic!)

As for your second point, if no glossary entries were offered, then you’re correct in assuming there aren’t any for those specific segments. You are by all means welcome to add new entries to the platform! I’m actually Putting together a few guidelines on how to best go about this now :slight_smile: I’ll post them here when they are ready (later this week, probably) but feel free to add what you see fit in the meantime!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Happy week (and happy international translation day! Did you hear about the marathon? We’d love to have you with us there! )
Manuel

1 Like

Hi, Manuel!
Thanks for following up! Okay I get it; assuming MT has been deactivated on purpose, I’ll respect that and would not try to use it from somewhere else.
Have a nice day!