How to become a Kató Verified Translator

Apologies for cross-posting, but I’m new to TWB :slightly_smiling_face:

I am a fully paid up Member of the UK-based Chartered Institute of Linguists (membership no. 51445).

Can I use it to fast-track my way into becoming a Verified Translator?

Thank you!

Hello again -

Just to let you know that I’ve just taken and submitted a translation test -

• French source text: ‘Rapport de mission: Les ateliers psychologiques’
  • Discipline and field of expertise: Social Sciences
  • Target Language: English (UK)

Hallo, i wanted to know if , perhaps a moderator can look at the work and fix the tags, just this once. In future I will try to work it out.I found it difficult to fix when I tried.

Hello Samuel, you will need to ask the PM. Did you translate the text on Kató Platform? If so, please use the corresponding topic on the forum to post a message to the PM. Maybe @MiriamTWB will be able to help you.

Dear Bokani,

In order to become verified, you would have to be a Chartered Linguist with CIOL. I have found your account and it says that you are not chartered yet. Thank you for taking the qualification test instead!

Regards,
Nurangiz

Hi Margaret,

Unfortunately, we don’t have a test for Haitian Creole - English at the moment. Do you have any other qualifications such as: Proz.com Certified member, ATA or ITI certified member, or CIOL Chartered Linguist?

Best,
Nurangiz

Thank you very much ^^ I’m glad I can contribute to this amazing project!

Dear Nurangiz -

Thanks for getting back to me and just to let you know that I took my translation test - yesterday!

Hi @Samuel,

Apologies for the delay. On your task page you should see a link to the Kató Community which links you to the relevant project page. Please post this issue there with the screenshots of what you are experiencing. I will follow up your issue on Kató Community once I see the screenshots you have uploaded on the relevant project forum page.

Hello @ambra. In the welcome email I received, it says you can become a verified translator if you “show evidence of recognized translation certification such as Proz.com Certified PRO, ATA or ITI (this is the fastest option).” Where do I go to provide this evidence, please?

Summer language needs

Hello Mary, thank you for your message. You can send your proof of verification to translators@translatorswithoutborders.com

Hi @ambra, I have logged into the testing centre and picked the test sample to translate however when I click on the translate sample button it says “are you sure you want to send a sample translation” but doesn’t give me the option to actually do the translation. Could you advise me where I am going wrong please…thank you. :slight_smile:

Hello Suzanne, that sounds actually correct… Have you clicked on “ok” in the message window? After you click on OK the page should load automatically and take you to the actual translation test. If this doesn’t happen maybe you have to enable something from your browser or try with a different one, because you’re not doing anything wrong :slight_smile:

Hi @ambra, I use Microsoft Edge and I have just tried it with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and it still asks me if I want to send it rather than give me the task to translate. There is nothing on my screen to say that anything has been blocked in any of the browsers. I am just concerned now that either blank or wrong samples are being sent somewhere.

Summer language needs

Hello Suzanne, don’t worry about that. Have you clicked on “OK” when it asks you to send the translation test? If not, can you please click on OK and you’ll see that the page will take you to the actual translation test.

Hi @ambra, I have clicked on Ok and the following message comes up.

Thank you for your interest in participating in Translators Without Borders.
Your test translation is on file, but the review has not yet been completed. Because Translators Without Borders operates on an as-needed basis, it is possible that your test translation will not be evaluated until there is a need to be filled.
If you would like to inquire as to the status of review of the test translation you submitted to Translators Without Borders,source_text_pair you may submit a support request to ProZ.com’s staff members who can check the status on your behalf.

https://www.proz.com/profile/1724903

Vecteur de témoignages des luttes sociales et politiques et des combats au quotidien dans les quartiers populaires, le hip-hop est un outil de dénonciation, de revendication et de promotion des mouvements sociaux.

The medium of expressing testimony of social and political struggles and daily struggles in the working-class districts, hip-hop is a tool is a tool for denouncing, expressing demands and promoting social movements.
T+>>
Hallo, I am talking about lack of correspondence of tags between source and target text.I have difficulty fixing them .If this can be solved before deadline.Last time i did a project I just uploaded a plain word document,this time it has not worked.

Hello Ahmad, your test hasn’t been reviewed yet but I have asked the reviewer to give it priority. You should hear back from us within a week. Thank you for your patience.

Hi @Samuel I am unable to help you with this issue until I can identify the task you are working on. On your task page, you should see a link to the Kató Community which links you to the relevant project page as highlighted on the bottom left in this example.

Please post this issue there with the screenshots of what you are experiencing. I will follow up your issue on Kató Community once I see the screenshots you have uploaded on the relevant project forum page.