How do you type en and em dashes in Kato tool?

Hello fellow-translators,

I wonder if you could kindly advise how you manage to produce an en and em dash using the Kato tool. I notice that the usual combination “Ctrl and -” does not work in this environment.

For your reference: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/hyphens-and-dashes/

Also, I’m wondering why the Translation Quality topic is locked? :thinking:

Apologies if this is not the right thread to post this question.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Natalia

Hi @na2alia_m :cherry_blossom:

Welcome to the community. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Actually, It does not seem to me that there is any problem using “Ctrl + -”. I am wondering why it did not work with you. :thinking:

Regarding your question about the Translation Quality topic, maybe taking a look to this blog will help you to learn more about the platform and different trust levels.

Hope this could help. :smiley:
Bests. :heart: :dizzy:

1 Like

Hello Salwa,

Thanks for your sweet welcome. :pray:

“Ctlr and -” work perfectly well in a text editor, but not in Kato transl tool, as it reacts to this combination of keys the same way as the browser does - zooms out instead of typing the dash. So sadly I have to use hyphens in my translations even knowing it’s incorrect, just bcz I could not figure out the way to type in em dashes.

Hope it helps to explain the issue.

Yes, there’s a lot to learn about the platform and I have no idea what “trust levels” are. Will be making use of the blog, of course.

Thank you.

Natalia :four_leaf_clover:

Hello @na2alia_m :blush:
That’s quite odd, as @SalwaAlrifai pointed out Ctrl + - should work. Did you give it another try? :star:
If you feel a bit lost please don’t hesitate to reach out to us! The TWB Community team is always happy to help and to navigate you through the multiple platforms. If you haven’t already, please take a look at our Welcome Pack for translators

1 Like

Hi Carolina :blush:

Thanks for reaching out.

Try as I might, unlike a text editor, it doesn’t work in the browser. And the Kato tool is based on Chrome. Yes, I should have a closer look at the Welcome Pack.

Thanks!

Natalia

Hi Natalia, I learned something new thanks to you because I didn’t know the difference between en dash and the em dash :slight_smile: thank you!
I tried and Ctrl + - doesn’t work at all for me, it just zooms out (same if I try in this forum). Maybe @Manuel has a solution?

Hey there! You can use the built-in keyboard shortcuts:

• Em dash (—): Alt+0151
  • En dash (–): Alt+0150

If you’re working on a Mac:

• Em dash (—): Shift-Alt-hyphen or Command + M
  • En dash (–): Alt-hyphen

I hope these help!

3 Likes

Hi Ambra,

You are welcome. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s a pleasure to bring in a bit of useful info.

Natalia

Thanks, Manuel.

Sadly, it doesn’t work either. Not sure why. I’ve tried a few things on my win10 desktop.

http://www.techtoolsforwriters.com/how-to-create-an-em-dash/

:thinking:

Hmm… curious. Are you working from Windows 10? Do you have a number pad in your keyboard? The key combinations I shared above will work o lu with a number pad, not with the keys above the QWERTY row of your keyboard.

Lovely. It does work from the number pad, Manuel. :dizzy: :100: :boom:

Appreciate you. :+1:

2 Likes

Perfect :smiley:. And a bonus one that I love: Alt + 174 and 175 will give you « and ». What a pleasure to be able to use the in-line quotation marks in Spanish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are a mine of useful information, Manuel. :star_struck:The quotation marks are the same in Russian (I was wondering about them, too), so your tip comes very handy.

Have a lovely weekend. :sunny:

1 Like