How do you register multiple native languages?

Hello, I hope that you are doing well.

I was born in South Korea, and I have been speaking, writing, reading, and listening in Korean since then. But, I also moved to United States when I was 7, so I have been speaking, writing, reading, and listening in English for around two thirds of my life. I finished my grade school education in the states. I am currently attending college there as well.

Unfortunately, I am only able to put Korean on my profile as my native language since there is only one slot open. Is there a way to add two languages as my native languages?

Thank you.

3 Likes

Good morning, @jeon.ek :slight_smile:

In this case, I believe you must send an email to translators@translatorswithoutborders.org, explaining the TWB team that you have two native languages, so they can then ponder the question and change your profile accordingly. (I’m using this thread as a reference.)

(I’m also tagging @ambra and @_carolina, so they either confirm or rectify this information. Thanks in advance to both of them :slight_smile: )

In the meantime (in case you haven’t already done so), you should take a test in the Translators Without Borders screening center, so you can become a Kató Verified Translator in the English-Korean language pair. (The Korean-English language pair is not yet available there).

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Andreia

3 Likes

Hello @jeon.ek and @andfraz and thanks a million for your messages.

At the moment, is not possible to add a second native language to your profile - not even admins can. This is definitely something we might want to make possible in the future, so I am tagging my colleague @Manuel to keep this in mind.

You can, of course, add the language combinations Korean to English and English to Korean, and claim tasks in both combinations. We don’t have many projects for Korean to English, but I am sure we have a regular volume of English to Korean. My colleagues @RachelM and @JulianP will surely contact you if they have any projects :wink:

1 Like