How to start translating?

New to TWB or to Kató Platform? :baby: Not sure how to get started? :footprints: Find out below :arrow_down:

:writing_hand: Make sure you have registered on Kató Platform using this form

:clipboard: Update your language combinations and complete your translator profile

:toolbox: Have a look at our Translator’s Toolkit to help you find your way around the platform

:wave: Say hello and meet other translators in the Translator Lounge

:woman_technologist: Claim your first task! Learn how to do it from our video tutorial

:raising_hand_man: Feel free to reach out if you need any help by posting on the forum. We will be happy to help!

6 Likes

Hello, I’m just doing my registration in this platform and honestly I didn’t understand how can I work with you.thanks for helping by advanced😊

1 Like

Hi Yamina, thank you for registering with TWB, we’re happy to have you in our community! :smiley: The way it works, is that you can search for tasks in your language pairs that are of interest to you, claim them and translate them using our Kató TM. You can find more useful videos and FAQs here.

Please note that we are a non-profit and we don’t pay our translators. However, we highly value their contribution and offer a recognition program.

Does it answer your question? Is there anything else you’d like to know?

3 Likes

I’m new here, any recommendation about how to start translating.

Hi @MohamedMohsen, and welcome! I recommend taking a look at our Welcome Pack, where you’ll find lots of helpful instructions and tutorials. In particular, I’ll highlight a few links here to help you get started:

• This link will help you learn more about finding and claiming tasks.
  • This video tutorial gives you some tips on using our translation interface, Kató TM.
  • This page has instructions and screenshots about completing tasks on Kató.
  • If you need extra help submitting a task, this page contains video tutorials that may help.

If you have any questions that aren’t answered in these links, please feel free to reach out anytime and we will be happy to help!

2 Likes

Please help newbies find their way around. Where are my claimed tasks?

1 Like

I’m lost too, I hope someone helps us!

1 Like

Hi @Caroline2 and @AlejandraSantillan! Thank you for reaching out, we are always happy to help :slight_smile:

You can access your claimed tasks by visiting your Kató Platform profile and clicking on “Claimed Tasks” at the top of the page. It will automatically show you any tasks you have in progress, but you can select “Any Task Status” or “Complete” from the Task Status dropdown menu to see older tasks.

If you have questions about a specific task as you’re working on it, I highly recommend going to your claimed task and clicking on the link next to “Discuss this task on Kató Community.” This will take you to the forum topic for your specific task where we can answer your question more quickly, and you’ll sometimes find that other volunteers have asked the same question as you. In addition, this is also where PMs occasionally share important information related to your task, such as glossaries, graphics, and clarification on terminology.

Finally, I’ll leave you with a few links that should help you find your way around Kató Platform and the translation interface, Kató TM, but please reach out again anytime you’re feeling lost!

2 Likes

Hi Olivia. I can do that, but I can’t see the proofreading tasks I claimed in the old platform, and are available there!
https://twb.translationcenter.org/workspace/dashboard
Should I do the work there?

Hi @AlejandraSantillan, I’m sorry for the confusion, I think I understand your question now.

Yes, at the moment, we are using two different translation environments: the TWB Workspace, which is provided by ProZ.com, and Kató Platform, which we have been using since we merged with The Rosetta Foundation in June 2017.

Unfortunately, the two platforms are not integrated with each other, which means that tasks claimed on one platform cannot be completed on the other. We understand that this is not ideal, and we are working on moving all of our tasks, as well as translators’ work history, to Kató Platform, and eventually it will be the only environment we use. Even though these two platforms are separate, whenever a volunteer requests recognition via our Recognition Program, we always take into account work performed on both platforms.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to reach out again with any other questions! :star2:

1 Like

Did my Revision proj-10465/fr-FR-en-US/4294-594879016985#755538 get submitted okay? :upside_down_face:

Hi @Caroline2, it looks like you’ve successfully submitted your revision task! Thank you for your help on this project! :star2:

:slightly_smiling_face:Thank you Olivia.

1 Like

Hi! May I know how I can be translate in this platform?

1 Like

Hi Stanley, welcome to the TWB community! I have moved your post to another thread. Please have a look at the links in the description. You will find there essential information to help you get started :slight_smile: Feel free to reach out if you need help with anything :wink:

1 Like

Please can you tell me how can I start translation?!

Hi Aliaa, I have moved your post to the FAQ section, you will find intstructions on how to start translating here. Have a look at the post at the top of the thread and let me know if you have any other questions :slight_smile:

Hello @NataliaG … all projects are completed and I don’t find any project to translate it what should I do ?!

Unfortunately no projects available to be translated to Arabic, I’ve been checking for a couple of days. Is that normal?

Hi @aliaakotb615 and @Bushra_Alkadhi, there are some tasks from WHO for Arabic (Saudi Arabia) available, not sure if it suits your skills and interests.

You’re right, there seem not to be too many tasks for Arabic at the moment. You can sign up for email notifications to receive information about new tasks when they appear :slight_smile: