Have you found COVID-19 terms that are difficult to translate?

In the COVID-19 pandemic, millions of people lack basic information about how to keep themselves and their communities safe. We thank you once again for your unwavering support in translating content to enable people to make informed choices. :heart:

As you have been involved in translating COVID-19 content, have you come across terms or concepts that have been challenging to translate in your target language?

:question: Example: Basic protective measures to limit the spread of COVID-19 include recommendations for “social distancing”. This term refers to a set of actions that reduce close contact between people in order to limit the transmission of the virus. But translating this term is a challenge in many languages, because of different cultural contexts and social implications.

If you came across a COVID-19 related term that posed a challenge when translating into another language, you can let us know :arrow_forward: through this survey :arrow_backward:. You can flag up to three terms every time you take this survey. If you find any new terms that are difficult to translate in any language, remember you can always take this survey again.

We are keen to gather our community’s thoughts on this. Your inputs will be valuable in improving our translation processes as well as guide our support to partners in developing clear and comprehensible content. :bulb:

8 Likes

@ambra Hi! I have been translating some COVID-19 related documents since last month, and there are some commonly used terms for this matter. They are not particularly challenging but worth added to the glossary. How would I suggest those terms? Also via the survey?

Thanks,
Nozomi

1 Like

Hi @Nozomi!

Thank you very much for reaching out :slight_smile: We are moving into Spanish in the new version of the online glossary. I’d love to have a look at the terms you gathered, and check if they are included in what we are planning. Would you mind emailing them at manuel@translatorswithoutborders.org? :slight_smile:

Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks @Manuel for your reply! Unfortunately, I never had Spanish-Japanese combinations on TWB yet. The terms I was referring to are in English-Japanese combination. If my understanding is correct based on your reply, there is going to be a phase for entry/update of Japanese terms. Is that correct?

Nozomi

2 Likes

Hello @ambra
Can you please elaborate more for me because I’m lost to the survey that I receive via mail.
Thank you.

Kasim

Hello @Kasim :blush:
If you can’t find the survey and would like to fill it out, you can find it here
Let me know if you still need help!

Hello @_carolina :grinning:
Its nice to hear that you are willing to give me a helping hand.
But unfortunate I was able to handle it. So that is so kind of you.

Thank you so much.

1 Like