Field of expertise

I have not started my university studies yet, so how do I choose the boxes in the “Fields of expertise” section in my profile?

1 Like

Good evening, @carolinajusta :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

My best advice is for you to choose fields with which you feel comfortable with. For instance, if you read a lot about climate change and gender equality, feel free to choose those - and so on. You don’t need a degree to know a lot about a subject like that.

Moreover, you can always have a look at each individual project before claiming it. If you think you’ll do a good job, go ahead and claim it. If you feel like it may be too technical for you, let another volunteer work on it. Having this in mind, please make sure you avoid more technical fields like health and law. :wink:

By the way, you are already 18, aren’t you? I’m asking because, like our kind @_carolina explained on another thread:

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Have a great evening, Carolina. :star2:

4 Likes

Hi @carolinajusta thanks for your message! The wonderful @andfraz is right on all accounts :wink: Let us know if you have any further questions! :sunny:

2 Likes

Yes, I am over 18! I just don’t hold any university degrees yet

Do you know how often Brazilian Portuguese translation requests come up? I have been on the Kató platform for a few weeks now (I’m still waiting for my Kató test results, though), but I haven’t seen any yet. I don’t know if it is because of my language pairing (maybe more requests come up for UK English and not US English) or the fields of expertise I chose…

1 Like

Good evening, @carolinajusta :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

That’s not a problem at all, Carolina. :slight_smile:

Tasks meant to be translated into Brazilian Portuguese come up pretty often - both having US and UK English as the source language.

If you think you’d be comfortable translating from UK English too, add it to your profile. You always have the chance to have a look at the tasks before claiming them, so that’s my suggestion.

As far as I know, the fields of expertise don’t influence the tasks you see available on your task stream. They’re just a quick way for Project Managers to know if you have the right profile to work on a task, in case they need your help.

The fact that you aren’t verified yet means that don’t have access to all tasks - but we still have access to plenty of them.

Try to have a look at the community on a daily basis. New tasks are always posted here. Some projects have lots of chunks and your help will be most welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, (if you haven’t done so yet), set up email alerts to be notified of new tasks. That way, when a new task is available for your language pairs, you’ll get an email shortly after. :email: And then all you have to do is run here, :running_woman: have a look at the task :face_with_monocle: , (thus making sure you’ll feel comfortable translating/revising it :white_check_mark: ) and claim it. :wink:

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Have a great evening, Carolina. :star2:

2 Likes