Being new user, I need to know

Hi, I am a new user here. I need to know if the projects posted here, are paid or unpaid or what’s the exact system of working here.

I claimed a task, but that does’t talk about any payment etc. so I need to understand the same.

Rgds
Deepa

2 Likes

Hey Deepa, How are you? I hope you are doing well and safe :innocent:. Unfortunately, I reckon that project is unpaid as usual :pensive:. Translators without Borders is non-profit organization set up to provide translation services for humanitarian non-profits. If you want to earn money, you should lookup by ProZ.com which is translations, proofreading, etc. enable you to find jobs. It is nice to have you here. Welcome to TWB family. :blush:
If you need anything, let me know. :star2:
Best Regards

4 Likes

Hi Deepa,

Welcome to our wonderful community. Translators without Borders is a non-profit organization that provides translation service for humanitarian non-profits. In case you hadn’t noticed, when you signed up, you did it as a volunteer – so it’s not actually a place to look for payments, although your contributions will certainly be life-saving!

However, you can still utilize this platform to advance your career in the language industry – (if I am not wrong) once you donate 20,000 words, you can request reference letter from TWB, skill endorsement on LinkedIn, and translator feedback on Proz (40,000 words for the latter two). Besides, you will learn a lot from the community members and receive helpful advices from experienced language experts who have been giving voluntary service at TWB.

Also, if you’re not experienced at all, TWB, in my opinion, if not the best, is one of the best places to acquaint yourself with language industry and become an expert yourself!

So, if you manage your time well, spending your valuable time here as a volunteer won’t be a loss – we can promise you this.

Please check out the Welcome pack for Kató Translators to learn more about this platform.

Regards,
Sifat

10 Likes

Hi @Deepa_Pandey, @serhanb and @sifatnoor, thank you all for your kind words and respectful discussion! The information Serhan and Sifat have provided is absolutely correct :slight_smile:

TWB is a non-profit organization offering language and translation support for humanitarian and development agencies, and other non-profit organizations. As such, money payments are generally not part of our workflows.

In very rare instances, we may have paid projects depending on the word count, turnaround time and type of document. However, this would be an exceptional circumstance. In that case, we would certainly inform our volunteer community. :information_source:

Of course, it is extremely important for us that translators feel motivated and supported, and that we express our gratitude for the work they do. As such, we have created a General Recognition Program for all Kató Translators. You can find out more about this program by visiting our thread on the recognition program :trophy:

We also have a section in Kató Community called Opportunities for Translators/Interpreters, where we post both paid and and unpaid opportunities for translators. :writing_hand:

Let us know if you have any further questions! :sunflower:

7 Likes

I’m new here and I would like to know what I need to do to start translating.
I have taken the course, created my profile, but I still don’t know where to find the projects or how to access the Kató TM. Thank you!

Dear Marcela,
First of all, welcome to TWB Kató :blush:. You should take a sample translation on ProZ.com testing center :writing_hand:. Maybe this test center will help you (Remember, if you don’t have a Proz.com account, create one in order that sample translation test!). Either, if you have certificates from any of the associations or organizations to assist you, simply share it via TWB platform. :trophy:

Let me know if you have any questions. :star2:
Best Regards

2 Likes

Hello Marcela and welcome to the community! And thanks a lot @serhanb for your quick message to Marcela :slight_smile:
I see that your profile is complete so you just have to wait for a task to become available :smiley: and while you wait, you can take our test to become verified and boost your chances to find available projects in your combinations. Here also a few links that might help you:

3 Likes

Thank you @serhanb, I have taken the test and am waiting for the results :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much, @ambra. :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t mention it @Marcela_Rodrigues :wink:

1 Like

Much obliged @ambra :blush:
By the way, I applied for a job through TWB Kató as a Community and Recruitment Intern. Nobody has replied yet :thinking:. How could I be informed about my job result? I really want to work with TWB. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks in advance!
Yours Faithfully

1 Like

Hi Serhan, happy to hear that you applied for the position. Don’t worry, the position will stay open for another week and just then we will start looking at the applications we received and email shortlisted candidates. You can expect to hear from us by the end of the month. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. :blush:
I am looking forward to attending TWB Kató Family :heart:.
Have a nice day!

1 Like