An Interview with a TWB Translator: Haitian Creole, a lifeline for Jean Bellefleur and all Haitians!

This month our #LanguageMatters blog features an interview with @JEAN_HEBER, one of our longest serving Haitian Creole volunteers, and how his commitment to support the Haitian community by translating vital content from English into Haitian Creole.

On August 14, Haiti faced a devastating earthquake leaving more than 650,000 people in need of emergency humanitarian assistance. However, constraints related to communication, transportation and security hindered people from accessing the help they needed.

As TWB Executive Director, Aimee Ansari recalls, 11 years ago TWB was birthed in response to another earthquake in Haiti, and sadly: “Haitians could not understand the information they were given; they couldn’t use it, or ask any questions about it.” because almost all communication was in French.

What started as a small initiative from a group of volunteers, has over the years evolved into a global community of over 60,000 translators, with a global ambition – to help people get vital information and be heard, whatever language they speak.

“I feel very proud and honored to put my skills to work, accompanying TWB to reach out to the people of Haiti and elsewhere where too many languages are left out of important discussions. Languages matter the most in a time of great humanitarian crisis. Without the cooperation of the whole TWB team, we couldn’t make it.” Jean Bellefleur

Born in Grand’Anse, Haiti and now based in Canada, Jean enjoys reading and learning new skills and it is his curiosity that led him to join TWB in 2016. Ever since, he has donated 170,000 words :star2:, contributing to projects ranging from manuals on creation of free wheelchairs to FAQs around COVID-19 vaccines for children.

We are proud to have linguists like Jean :sunflower: providing a lifeline with accessible information about shelters and wellbeing, as they are making the world a better place.

“I am making a difference in people’s lives, especially for vulnerable people, and it is impacting their lives in a positive way. I hope to help amplify the voices of people in remote areas within the communities in Haiti and any other part of the world who speak Haitian Creole or French.” Jean Bellefleur

For more details on how Jean has contributed to Haitians with his skills read this blog

4 Likes

Congratulations! :tada: :tada: :tada: :tada:

1 Like