Alternative options to the Matecat platform possible?

Hi there,
Today, I was going to start my first project for TWB and was super happy about it! But now I see I have to translate it in the MateCat tool. I really don’t like to work with this tool. I know for sure it reduces the quality of my translation as I don’t see the whole text in one (only the strings) and the suggestions just distract me from my own ideas. I absoluterly never agree to work with this platform and don’t wanna start with it now.
So, my question is: Can I get the whole text as a word file and translate it for myself and include it later into MateCat?

If not: Can I switch off the suggestions appearing in the translation field?

If the answers to both of those questions are not: How can I step back from this project?

Thanks in advance!
Lena

2 Likes

Hi @Lena1,
welcome to TWB community. You can include your translation later into MateCat, but you will have to fit every segment in the right place. I think you cannot switch off the suggestions: they are meant to be looked at.
If you would like to unclaim your task, this is a tutorial: Unclaim tasks in KP - YouTube
I hope this helps
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for you quick response. Those suggestions are a 25-35% fit and are super confusing. There is a high risk of errors with this method and it’s impossible to get a general feeling for the text. It’s a pity that I can’t traslate it without MateCat. It’s the worst tool for traslators, in my opinion.

Do all projects of TWB need to be translated within Matecat? If so, I’m afraid, I won’t be able to work for TWB :.(

3 Likes

Not all tasks have suggestions. But most of the tasks need to be translated on the platform.
:herb:

2 Likes

Hi @Lena1, first of all, welcome to the TWB community! :hugs:

Thank you for reaching out to us and for sharing your concerns, I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel comfortable using MateCat. I looked into the possibility of deactivating the translation suggestions, but this is not possible at the moment.

As the kind @faretto5 mentioned above, you can still download the project’s document to see it whole, work offline and then upload it again in MateCat. However, it is very important to inform the relative Project Manager that you are working offline on a task, as they wouldn’t be able to see and track your progress.

Also, please note that very often, several translators work on the same project. This means that when you download the project’s document, you’ll only need to translate the section that has been assigned to you. You can check this in MateCat - by scrolling the page, a :no_entry_sign: sign will appear to the segments assigned to other translators. If you are the only one working on a project, you won’t have to pay attention to this.

Some good news for you: we are planning to start using a different Cat Tool in the following months, so you won’t have to bear with MateCat for too long :smiley:

In the meantime, here you can also find some useful resources about Kató TM :slight_smile:

Thanks for your understanding, Lena! Let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Likes

Thank you Silvia, for your elaborate explanation. I believe, when I download the document, it won’t be shown like the original document (with titles, paragraphs etc) but string by string, is that correct? What I meant is for example in this case, it would be super helpful for all translatros to see the complete study in one PDF. That s super important for our work.
I unclaimed my task and I won’t claim other tasks, so this is just a general advice for you. I would be interested to work for TWB one day, but I guess, I won’t receive a message, that you changed your tool? And if I understand correctly, all your projects need to be done in this tool?

1 Like

Hi @Lena1 thanks for getting back to us :slight_smile:

I agree, it’s really important. When you download the document it provides the original document in its original format - we’re able to keep this format using tags in Kató TM. It also downloads the entire document for you and all translators working on the project to see it in its entirety.

As @Silvia_Mauri mentioned, we are planning some changes in the future, and we will be sure to inform our community when these come into place, so you can look out for emails from us about this. We look forward to working with you soon Lena! :star2:

2 Likes

Thank you! That are great news! I’m looking fordward to the changes :slight_smile:

3 Likes